Temple of the Jedi Force : Questions about the Jedi Path [Message Boards - General Discussions]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Random Views
JEDI IDENTIFICATION CARD PROTOS- FRONTS

Ceremonial Lightsabre Hilts
from an old black book ;)

Friends and Family
This is how your SAA gets down on the flightline!

Do you know ?
That you can upload your own avatar?

Login to use Live Chat

Who's Online
50 user(s) are online (7 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 0
Guests: 50

more...

New Members Welcome!
JanessaBas 2018/7/19
ClintBarton 2018/7/19
GusSacco31 2018/7/18
Opal385718 2018/7/17
Lilliana47 2018/7/16
ValeriaMor 2018/7/16
akujidij 2018/7/16
WendellKil 2018/7/15
Gabriele40 2018/7/15
HollieHerr 2018/7/14

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Questions about the Jedi Path
Apprentice
From USA
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
Apprentice
Jedi Sentinel
A question for masters and knights:

What do you like to see in initiates as they prepare for apprenticeship? What lesson (s) would you most want them to learn as they complete their initiate work?

Posted on: 1/11 15:21

Knight
From Oslo
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
Knight
Promotions Committee
Message Board Moderator
Support Team
Spam Busters
It'd probably depend on person to person. Personally I looked for someone willing to make an effort. Apprenticeship is a longtime commitment, there can't be much of cutting corners. The answers given or quality of them isnt that important, but the person taking time and energy to attempt an answer as well as they can, that's what's important to me. Basically, showing a willingness to give it a solid go.

The initiate stage is a great one, because the lessons so handily gathered in the doctrine are the basics you'll always come back to. The individual teachings and vows + the lines of the code will come up time and time again in other lessons later, hence the effort put into studying them is immensely valuable, even if it takes one's entire apprenticeship and then some to fully understand them.

I wasn't looking for someone who's interpret every line just as I do, simply someone willing to put time into it and who'd see the value of them on the path. Being able and willing to put them into context of their own life experiences was a big plus for me, because it shows abilty to reflect over these teachings on a more personal level. Which the Jedi path is all about, because learning all this by heart means little if we cannot put it to use and incorporate them into our lives. There's a saying; we get what we give. It's true on most things, if we do not give time and energy to learning how to walk the path, we get little out of it.

And it's important to remember, in my opinion, that we are all different, coming from different places, ages, experiences and so on. We don't judge a book by its cover and we take time to get to know each other and how the other sees the world. Nobody was born in a vaccume, we're all shaped differently and from different circumstances. Those differences are valuable, because we can learn so much from seeing the world from someone elses point of view.

I'm not sure this completely answered your questions, just my thought on the matter.

Posted on: 1/11 18:11
Trained under: Master Ace Venom
Current apprentice(s):
* Amara (Amy)
* LoverofKnowledge (Leena)

Obi-Wan:(...) Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future.
Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Good question. Get solid in the basics, understanding the doctrine and learning how to apply it when life gets too difficult. Meditate at least 5 mins a day. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and speak-up if you're having a problem with a lesson.

Posted on: 1/12 13:38

Apprentice
From USA
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
Apprentice
Jedi Sentinel
Thanks, Master Nira - it did answer my question, plus a few others I had been wondering about but hadn't put into words yet.

I notice a lot of people bristle at the length of time each step takes, too. Sometimes I wish I could fast forward through a few of the less pleasant lessons, lol, but there's not much point in the whole thing if you skip the hard parts.

Something else I often forget is just what you said about it being a two-way street. It takes time to get to know one another and not just for the student to find the teacher, but also for the teacher to find the student. And when I think about it, I was still dodging you for a time even after we got going, lol!

Thanks for your insight too, Master Octagon - the basics are the basics for a good reason!

Thanks for your thoughts, guys!

Posted on: 1/12 15:42

Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
I've mentioned it before why I feel the basics are so important. When under stress our higher mental functions actually shut down. We begin to think more with our instincts and emotions to see us through fight or flight situations.

We also tend to revert back to whatever skills we've used the most. So some Jedi when faced with a difficult situation will put what they've learned about Jediism on the back burner and go with what they learned from childhood or basic training until the crisis is over then go back to the Jedi path.

Those who have made Jediism a core foundation in their life will turn to it first. Using breathing skills to steady and calm themselves so they can think more clearly. Meditation to better attune to a solution to the current crisis. Then actions based on the Jedi doctrine to restore balance in their life or the lives of those around them.

Once this is mastered and practiced, it becomes as easy as jumping on the phone and working it out with your best friend, only in this case your best friend has become your inner master.

Posted on: 1/13 14:56

Knight
From Oslo
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
Knight
Promotions Committee
Message Board Moderator
Support Team
Spam Busters
I can testify towards that, and I wholeheartedly agree. It's very easy to automatically revert back to old habits and reactionary patterns.

Which is why the initiate phase of studying the doctrine feels very important to me, but at the same time it requires reinforcement and continuing practice through the apprenticeship and later knighthood, in order to make it stick and cause permanent change to how we approach and face these situations.

I'll admit I too ought to go over the basics more often that I actually do, even as I continue to practice the practice. Knowing that this is indeed a challenge that require a long term dedication, it seems to me that if the interest and the will isn't there to begin with, it'll be near impossible to motivate oneself towards it in the future unless one is willing to take a step back and give it a new and refreshed try. Because mastery takes time and effort, which ought to be given, in my opinion, to every stage of the process. Initiate or knight.

Training doesn't end when one is labelled "knight" or "master", and "real training" doesn't start with apprenticing. Rushing through the initiate phase to start "real training" isn't doing oneself a favor. It's making the rest of the journey harder, in the long run, the way I see it. Though, in all fairness and to be honest, I admit I did almost believe so when I started out myself. I was as impatient as any, and didn't see at the time quite how important it was. Hindsight is always 20/20, lol.

Posted on: 1/13 15:33
Trained under: Master Ace Venom
Current apprentice(s):
* Amara (Amy)
* LoverofKnowledge (Leena)

Obi-Wan:(...) Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future.
Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of

Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Good observations

Posted on: 1/14 14:06

Knight
From Kent UK
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Knight
Jedi Guardian
Promotions Committee
Greetings Each Bows

Amy san Question.

I like to see commitment, Steady detailed answers and reflection on study. I see to many trample through the assignments as quickly as possible but never really absorb the content.

A flower takes time to open when the sun comes up . A field of sew seeds ripens over time.

Yes some of the assignments can take a while to complete. I can just about remember doing my studies every day I took part..took me best part of 18 months to complete and it still continues.

Patience, Focus, determination, study evolve :)

Posted on: 1/15 23:59

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.