Temple of the Jedi Force : Would you move to a Temple Community? [Message Boards - General Discussions]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Random Views
9th Century Norse Sword Compilation #1

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Ceremonial Lightsabre Hilts
my old TOTJO photo

Friends and Family
SSBK Instructors

Do you know ?
How to Become a Jedi Knight?

Who's Online
15 user(s) are online (4 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 0
Guests: 15

more...

New Members Welcome!
Davin_Berus 2020/1/1
Cosmic_Jedi 2019/12/5
DonnaH2820 2019/6/17
BethTru835 2019/6/16
MelodyOliv 2019/6/16
MartyMccai 2019/6/16
ClementSio 2019/6/15
KarolynSte 2019/6/14
PearlHardi 2019/6/13
JulieParki 2019/6/13

Login to use Live Chat

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 18 »

Re: Would you move to a Temple Community?
Master
From Planet Earth
Group:
Knight
Apprentice
Registered Users
Masters
Jedi Sentinel
I can't let the cat out of the bag but that is what I'm working for Master Ang it may just end up being a one man show but I'm just speaking prematurely now, let's see what fate has to say about that...

Posted on: 2010/12/17 17:29

From UK
Group:
Registered Users
sycthe we must have the same mind or something!!! thats exactly what i was thinking a private island!!not sure bout plum island never heard of it tho so not sure what it's like

Posted on: 2010/12/17 17:32

Apprentice
From rabbit hole
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
utopia lol

If anyone hasnt heard of christiania in europe look it up, litttle hippy barter community

I would come and I'm good at farming and want to learn more about natural medicine, but prefer somewhere warm.

Posted on: 2010/12/17 22:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Master (USA)
Group:
Registered Users
Masters
Apprentice
Knight
To address my opinion of the cult issue:

Got no problem with people referring me to a cultist, because A) There have been 9000 cults in the world including Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and so on. B) Nearly all of the symbology that we see or identify with has a cult connection.

There is no escaping it. If you want to refer to this as a religion...fine. Still doesn't change the fact that in the most technical terms (that are rationally based not used for implied perception), we are in fact, a cult. And really...so what?

It really comes down to the fear of others perception of us (or myself if I have to stand alone on this), which honestly, I couldn't give a hoot about most peoples perception, which is obviously flawed. I have seen the majority of humanity turn their heads in indifference when in the presence of evil, at the moment when they can do the most but do instead the least; why would anyone care what people of that character thought anyway?

I think it is unwise to dismiss such an idea based on a fear that is irrelevant.

To address Master Ang: I agree. Some will have to step up to the plate on something like this. Since we cant do this now (until a solution presents itself) this continues as a thougt experiment.

It could, however, be a well thought out thought experiment. A good idea should be taken as far as it can go. The teaching methods that could be used, the progress that could be made to find answers to sustainibility answers, and the pusuit to a more complete understanding of the force....many great things could come of this.

To everyone else, keep the thread going. It made 4 pages, and that was more than last time.

And I would lend whatever technical and science expertise to this endeavor.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 0:35

Master (USA)
Group:
Registered Users
Masters
Apprentice
Knight
Oh yeah I was going to address Scythe as well...counterpoint:

Geothermal may be regarded as input to you, but is necessity when you think about it. Geothermal energy is THE most abundant resource on the planet at this time. It is accessible, and I am sure a great many people know of the lasting effectiveness of this form of energy generation. It is enough to last 1000s of years.

Cost...yes. That is a barrier, no doubt. Lets look past that for a while. Building something such as this demands that building it correctly is more important than just getting it done, which money has the unfortunate habit of doing to even those who conceptualize such things.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 0:45

Master
From Portland Oregon
Group:
Knight
Apprentice
Registered Users
Masters
Jedi Sentinel
Message Board Moderator
Webmasters
When (if) this idea ever becomes a reality, I'll certainly have some skills that I could add to the pot.
I'm a welder by trade. When I was in practice & welding, I was damn good at it. Welders are definitely handy to have around, in my not so humble opinion.
When I finish going back to school again (for the 2nd time) I'll have some skills in electronics engineering (specializing in renewable energy systems) I'd even be able to pitch in by either designing a solar/wind/water power system, or doing maintenance on one already in place.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 0:51

Group:
Registered Users
as my field of study is with video and photographic materials. i'd only really be handy for educational and entertainment. and grunt work ;).

plum island looks interesting. i wonder if they are going to tear down the buildings currently there.

with the island being where it is, we would need our own ferry of some kind for supplies and emergencies. possibly a small plane of some kind for medical emergencies.

one day hopefully there would be people with medical and surgical training there but that is unlikely to happen. sustainability through winter that far north will be a challenge. food will be hard to come by depending on the size of the community as farming will be impossible in winter and with a big community you will have to get a very high yield to have enough to freeze. livestock will help and hinder as they can be food but also need food. many buildings will be needed, housing, the temple, power and heat generating structures, heated/enclosed barns for livestock, large scale food storage, machinery sheds for farm and maintenance equipment. if we decide to grow crops in the winter then there will have to be indoor garden areas.

then theres the manpower just for maintenance once everything is established, to look after all this we need electrical people for power and wiring, mechanics for vehicles and farm equip, gardeners, people who know the inner workings of the new power/heating tech we'll be using, people to look after the dock area, plumbers, carpenters for building repairs, plant farmers, livestock farmers and their labor workers (cleaning dung, feeding, treating sickness). some way of disposing or utilizing animals that are unsafe to eat due to their manner of illness or death.

granted temple members will take on many roles such as these and there is the possibility of hiring outside help for temporary and small intricate jobs but its still alot to consider when being separated (even by a small expanse) from the main land mass.

without the cost of the island itself and saying that the current buildings stay in place, this will still be a several million dollar conversion, so it really comes down to who and how many people decide to come, and how much they are willing to pay for their residence. some food for thought and contemplation.

but if it ever does happen, i would be glad to move (money and wife allowing) or at list visit a couple times yearly. my apologies for the extra long post

Posted on: 2010/12/18 1:35

Group:
Registered Users
too add to my abilities, i am fairly good with computers. built mine 2 years ago from parts i ordered. ;)

Posted on: 2010/12/18 1:39

From UK
Group:
Registered Users
well thnx for that long and detailed post mate we have alot of these professions already said but also many we do not. and as for getting several million dollars that will be a hard barrier to cross...

Posted on: 2010/12/18 6:24

Master (USA)
Group:
Registered Users
Masters
Apprentice
Knight
We could look at it as if it were a barrier. One person trying to get several million dollars is difficult. Many hands chipping in on this would make it easier.

I would like to suggest that a hardened communications bunker or abandoned ICBM silo complex would make an interesting and effective start to such a community.

The main mechanical functions could be concentrated in the below ground areas, while allowing us to expand on the surface. This would also allow us to use multiple methods of travel, rather than being isolated in a remote location.

It can also serve as temporary housing until the surface construction would be complete.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 15:23

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 18 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]