Temple of the Jedi Force : The Noble Eightfold Path [Message Boards - Buddhist Perspectives on Jediism]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Random Views
My Jedi-Bokken (TotalShot)

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Ceremonial Lightsabre Hilts
Knight Hilt Progress: Engraving Design on Handle--version 1

Friends and Family
Jim's wife and kid...

Do you know ?
The Official Temple Doctrine

Who's Online
40 user(s) are online (7 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 1
Guests: 39

FTPC, more...

New Members Welcome!
DonnaH2820 2019/6/17
BethTru835 2019/6/16
MelodyOliv 2019/6/16
MartyMccai 2019/6/16
ClementSio 2019/6/15
KarolynSte 2019/6/14
PearlHardi 2019/6/13
JulieParki 2019/6/13
Mable18N7 2019/6/13
ElsieAlonz 2019/6/13

Login to use Live Chat

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: The Noble Eightfold Path
Webmaster
From USA
Group:
Knight
Knight Marshall
Generous Donors
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Merin was talking about: Right Livelihood

Buddhism teaches us to be aware of our nature and work with it. We are all predisposed to do certain things in life, all given different talents. Knowing what your best at requires self awareness and commitment to reflection. If you follow what your best at ad love, provided it not harm others, you will find peace in what you do. Keep in mind that what may be appropriate for one person may not for another.

---------------------------------------------------------

Last week I was asked to bid on making a website that would be highly interactive, forums, news announcements, rss feeds, a chat system, lots of videos, etc.

Had I bid on the project and actually been awarded the contract it's likely I could have made a nice amount of money.

My contact had me look at a couple sites that he wanted to have similar features.

I should mention that the website my customer wants to build is going to earn it's money by promoting hunting and fishing trips primarily in North America.

He took me to a page where there were some videos, it was a page featuring a hunter getting ready for dear season. He was setting up the dear feeder and talking about how this was going to increase his ability to kill. It was a tips video on how, when and where to set your deer feeder to maximize your killing opportunities.

I'm grateful that right now I have the luxury of walking away from this project without even bidding on it. As a professional I won't disclose any more of his idea for the site, but I'll tell you this, for people that love to kill for sport I think he's got a winner. He'll probably make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year off his unique concept.

Even my monk told me that there's a difference between pulling the trigger and hosting an information site. But in my mind I just can't get past the idea that it promotes suffering and death at the most basic level, and even worse caters to people that get a thrill out of killing.

Merin was talking about right livlihood. To me right livelyhood means that I can not work for a company that makes pesticides, guns or munitions. It's unlikely I could be a cattle rancher, an exterminator, or even a police officer. Because the karma of trophy killing, rasing live animals for food, or even killing a criminal that may very well deserve what he's getting ... I just can't see myself being happy doing that. And the karma consequences are just way too high.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 2:32

Master
From Ellijay GA
Group:
Jedi Consular
Spam Busters
Support Team
Knight
Message Board Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Quote:
That's why in Star Wars there are Jedi, not Buddhists. Monks and nuns in robes walking away from a fight really wouldn't sell many movie tickets.

HAHAHA LOL Brother. Ain't that true. I have more thoughts on all of this but between the new baby and getting ready to move my mind is a bit cluttered at the moment, as is my free time. When I have a moment I'll try to chime in here yet I think you'v already managed to steal more then a few words from my mouth.

Posted on: 2010/2/4 11:20

Apprentice
From Nottinghamshire
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Hi there,

How does Zen Buddism compare to the eightfold path?

Great topic by the way,

Kas

Posted on: 2010/3/21 20:40

Master
From Ellijay GA
Group:
Jedi Consular
Spam Busters
Support Team
Knight
Message Board Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Well the path pertains to all strains of Buddhism. Zen followers adhere to the path just as someone following a strain of Theraveda would. It's the approach to the path that differs.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 7:41

Knight
From Washington
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Knight
Jedi Guardian
While it's true Buddhists in the place of Jedi would not have fit as well and probably would have changed the entire direction of the movie, it's not true that Buddhists are all entirely pacifistic. The Buddhists of the Shaolin Temple had the goal of ending suffering for everyone, not just themselves. They would go out and help the community. Unfortunately, bandits were attacking innocent farmers and it was in the Buddhists' beliefs that he should attempt to put an end to the conflict. Many Buddhists died and so Shaolin Kung-Fu was created.

The goal of Shaolin Kung-Fu was to end the violence without harming the bandit, the farmer, or the self, if possible. Primary concern went to the farmer who was in trouble as it was the Buddhist's goal to help the victim. Secondary concern actually went to the Monk, not the bandit, because if the Buddhist who was defending the farmer lost the fight he also lost the goal of keeping the victim from being harmed.

Considering this, Buddhists and Jedi do have quite a bit in common. We too would stand up and defend the innocent even if it put ourselves at risk. It's what we do.

Posted on: 2011/9/23 4:01

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]