Temple of the Jedi Force : Jedi Community Project: Jedi Central Library [Message Boards - The Greater Jedi Community]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Random Views
Jedi Arigorn

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Ceremonial Lightsabre Hilts
Master Keyan's Ceremonial Hilt concept and progress

Friends and Family
King Richards Faire '06

Do you know ?
What is the 3rd teaching for all Jedi?

Who's Online
35 user(s) are online (3 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 0
Guests: 35

more...

New Members Welcome!
DonnaH2820 2019/6/17
BethTru835 2019/6/16
MelodyOliv 2019/6/16
MartyMccai 2019/6/16
ClementSio 2019/6/15
KarolynSte 2019/6/14
PearlHardi 2019/6/13
JulieParki 2019/6/13
Mable18N7 2019/6/13
ElsieAlonz 2019/6/13

Login to use Live Chat

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Jedi Community Project: Jedi Central Library
Group:
Registered Users
Hey TOTJF -

Just wanted to send out this message to you...

-Asta

I'd like to begin a Jedi Community-wide project establishing a Jedi Central Library for the many writings which exist - and may exist in the future.

I know - I know - other libraries have begun and sort of died. I am not interested in establishing a library in addition to a website - but rather - accumulate what various sites and individual Jedi feel should be offered to Jedi and non-Jedi for a library and reference reading.

My main archival interest is in the Jedi Community gathering original works. These, I feel, need to be preserved before many more disappear where they can never be read, discussed, or taught or just ruminated-over.

Additional works found valuable to a Jedi in their path will also be most welcomed - and if they can be used as reference material for Jedi, especially new Jedi who often float around without any good or practical way of discovering the Jedi Path through an active website, it could help so many!

This Jedi Community project will be inclusive - and not all will agree with every work found in the library. It is not a library's mission to push one or another viewpoint, or stifle them.

One thing we need - and it's why I did my little Jedi Online History Project here - is that we need to know the author of original works - and also the website where the writing first appeared would be of contextual interest and importance. If that information can be gained through posting publicly what various sites and Jedi found valuable in their path - it will keep the library truly a public Jedi library.

Slow and sure is the way - and with all our busy schedules - and on-again-off-again appearance online - I think it's going to have to be the way...LOL!

I am going to disclose that I am going through an incredibly busy time with my businesses - but as I've gone through this trying time I have gone online and found this or that message at various sites that have helped me behave better, think better, react better - and in this I think I've finally realized that I am "in" on this body-mind-spirit philosophy lifestyle.

It works. It's held-up and continues to do so. I am a believer in it's benefits and goodness socially.

I also have no illusions of the garbage that has/will go on within various communities. It is why the library is just going to be a library - and like a community library - one that is there to help all and not involve politics or religion or other pressures to proslytize, stump-speech, or group-up. Libraries are free for individuals - not groups.

I worked at a business economics library for three years, but it was many years ago. I claim no special knowledge and am glad for any advice or addition to help with this project.

I know how much a Jedi Library would have helped me as a newbie - and how much I'd enjoy going to browse at those times where I simply feel overwhelmed, or bored, or find a topic I'd like Jedi information upon, or just feel like reading about those who also follow a Jedi Path.

I don't consider this "MY PROJECT" - but I am intensely interested - and really would love to see what occures.

I'd say I feel a sort of calling to do this. So - heh - I'm going to begin doing it and any who wish to also be part of the project or add works to be included in the library please feel free!

Don't be afraid to say what you think - it won't be taken personally or defensively. I know some have reservations about writings being made public - or even others handling their writing - and all that needs to be publicly resolved.

This is just a little announcement - and you can PM me if you'd prefer - or add your response.

- Thank you!

AstaSophi

Posted on: 2008/8/28 10:39

Re: Jedi Community Project: Jedi Central Library
Apprentice
From Texas
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Dear Asta,

FYI there is a community library project that has been under way for the past 3 months. The site is almost complete and anyone from any jedi community is welcome to come and read, add (through library staff) to areas in the library.

Areas included the library project is fictional aspects, but majority of factualy.

I do apologize if we have burst your bubble, but TOTJO Library is slated to open in mid September. And as I stated above any and all are welcome. It does not matter if you are member of TOTJO, TOTJF, Ashla Knights, Jedi Sanctuary, etc.... all those that want to learn or read are welcome.

http://library.jediism.net

Posted on: 2008/8/31 12:57
Apprentices: None
Former Master: Master Caedus, Fr. Jon

TOTJF:
Master: Master Scythe

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Knight
Group:
Knight
Apprentice
Registered Users
Good luck with your project(s)

Posted on: 2008/8/31 14:10

Group:
Registered Users
Hey Azrel... Good to know about the TOTJO library. I will keep checking back with it and see how it progresses.

Any archival/library/reference work is a boone to the Jedi Community. It's a daunting task!

The library project will involve the entire Jedi Community -not related to any site and will be open to all Jedi interpretations.

Azrel - I used to know someone at AshlaKnights who had that name are you one and the same? If so - I've seen you around and glad to see you so active!!!

I'll talk to Br. John about allowing a link to your library - and possibly you all would want to do the same? There are other site and older libraries - and I have been nosing-around trying to get permission to use them (some are from sites a decade old - and finding people isn't easy!)

The Library Project is open for anyone to contribute. I know there are some excellent writings I'd like to archive and share with the larger Jedi Community ...And if you've read anything here - you must know I don't especially agree with all the writings - but it's important that we can show especially new members what is available to them within the VERY diverse Jedi Community.

I very much frown upon politics and hierarchy - I've seen the worst of it - but I may be wrong. If it works, it works, and I think some people really feel more comfortable within boundaries.

I am definately not one of those people....

Azrel - I'm going to give you a quick answer here as far as teaching offline. I am a business owner - I have to teach daily. But I am not comfortable with the Master/apprentice relationship. That is my own "thing"...

We all have our Jedi Paths. My first experience was at this site - and unfortunately I never really "fit" into this particular group. I learned a lot from the experience and have become more interested in the positiveness of the Jedi Path simply because it is not a cookie-cutter philosophy/religion/group thing.

As liberal as I try to be - I've had to constantly re-check that my wishing everyone autonomy and freedom is in itself a form of coersion.

Not everyone wants it.

SecretSquirrel - thanks.

- Asta

Posted on: 2008/8/31 19:31

Apprentice
From Texas
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
As for links in the library those would actually go through me or Secret Squirrel not Br. John. Br. John is getting ready for his own classes for new initates at TOTJO.

As for being a member on Ashla Knights, no I am not and really do not appreciate my name being used. I have used this name since I was a pre-teen and carries a dual meaning.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me via PM my user name here is Sokar.

As for being a business manager how is being a teacher there any different than being online, and not to sound trite but sounds like excuses to me.

Posted on: 2008/8/31 22:18

TOTJF:

Knight
Group:
Knight
Apprentice
Registered Users
The only reason (as clarification) that links pass through the library admins (all librarians are admins, and for the record, brjohn is not involved, he is listed as webmaster simply due to his knowledge of the server set up same for me really, in case of emergency)

Any links are checked simply to make sure there is nothing inappropriate ie smut etc, basically anything harmful to Jediism.

Likewise, all sections in TOTJO library are locked, nobody can post except the librarians, if you wish to add material then submit it to a librarian for clearance, all sources are acknowledged. Again this is to prevent spam and inappropriate material appearing... ppl cant scribble in real library books, we dont want the same.

Sorry to seem like this is thread stealing/spotlight hogging this is not my intention, I just feel its important to clarify the situation. Once the library is open, my main role is simple server side maintenance.

Like all things, it will initially seem small, but will grow in time with patience and loving nurturing (kinda lika a baby really) were a bit uptight about what goes in simply because a library is only as good and reliable as the content.

When wiki started, it was a hotbed of rubbish and took a long time to soort their act out, we do not want to make their initial mistakes. An example of this, our Martial Arts section is managed by a true martial Arts teacher and Master of Aikido. This is how seriously we are taking the library and I hope this commitment is palpable on the site and rubs off into the academy and beyond.

Knowledge is wasted if it isnt shared

MTFBWY - A / MTFSYW / MYGGWY

Posted on: 2008/9/1 8:55

Group:
Registered Users
Oh - I don't mind questions at all...

The library I have in mind would also have to be submitted by a "librarian". I don't think trying to do a Wiki-style one would work for the reasons that you describe.

I find value in any material and work hard to do so without cencorship or judgement - so long as it's serious Jedi Material and not flames or spams...although posting those might be fun? Heh heh heh...

Sadly - I don't think a link would work to your library - you are right.

Well - the Jedi Community Library Project is going to take a lot of time - but if your library would like to add some of their works to share with others it would be wonderful!

Azrel - I just realized the guy at AshlaKnights used "Azreal". Sorry - you sound a bit like him too...

I have no calling for "teaching" as a Jedi. The way I teach as a boss is more by my own actions. I am a more "hands on" teacher - and my retail stores are a bit unusual and niche - so I have to teach anything from how to change out wheels or extendable handles on rolling luggage, to how to fill purchase orders online, do a uniform fitting, to teaching people to take the initiative and learn things on their own that I cannot teach...LOL...

As a salesperson I also teach customers about the product they may wish to buy.

That kind of "teaching" is fulfilling for me - I found the "Master" and "Padawan" relationship mildly creepy. But that's me... We are all different, yes?

I will say I had some good "masters" and I now have good "mentors" but always seemed to have more than one. I suspect I "mentor" people from time to time...but it's not the same as the "Master" and "Padawan" relationship.

Good luck on the library - I like the idea very much and we share a calling to gather and share information! Where I primarily train now I am called a "Jedi Archivist"...

Thanks for the interest and discussion!

- Asta

Posted on: 2008/9/1 10:36

Knight
Group:
Knight
Apprentice
Registered Users
Asta Wrote Sadly - I don't think a link would work to your library - you are right.

Sorry, am I missing something here?

I'm sure when your ready to open the doors, a link would be most welcome on TOTJO Library, as said, that particular place isnt open to the public (for viewing or registration) just yet

Anyway... hopefully with time, both sites will benefit from google etc

MTFBWY - A / MTFSYW / MYGGWY

Posted on: 2008/9/1 10:52

Apprentice
From Texas
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
I am slightly confused here but no where in either statements did the offer get rejected. I only simply stated a matter that links need to go through myself and Secret Squirrel right now due to noncompletion.

Again I reiterate that all communites Jedi/NonJedi are welcomed.

Posted on: 2008/9/1 19:29

TOTJF:

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.