Temple of the Jedi Force : Buddha and the Cat [Message Boards - Buddhist Perspectives on Jediism]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Random Views
Darth Maul Version 1

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Ceremonial Lightsabre Hilts
Justice Saber

Friends and Family
King Richards Faire '06

Do you know ?
What is the 11th teaching of all Jedi?

Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (3 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

New Members Welcome!
Svan 2020/7/12
musicy09 2020/6/26
Youroko 2020/6/23
Allada_Skydo 2020/6/23
Sojoy85 2020/6/14
Roth-DelLestin 2020/6/4
BackwoodsJedi 2020/5/28
wacarp71 2020/5/23
gu1hjujtbrk2 2020/3/12
SunnydaleWarrior 2020/1/28

Login to use Live Chat

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Buddha and the Cat
Ambassador
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Knight
So you learn something new everyday right? Through the plight of a friend I can across something interesting in Buddhism within the last half hour.

In Japan, legend has it that a mouse was sent to get medicine for Buddha. Along his journey however he was met a hungry cat that sealed his fate and ate him. At the funeral, the cat did not repent, nor mourn the Buddha's death (he and the mamushi [a venomous serpent] were the only two that did not among all those in attendance).

As a result, the cat was held to be a cursed creature.

As a Jedi- what do you see in this story?

Posted on: 2014/8/29 20:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Buddha and the Cat
Knight
From Oslo
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
Knight
Promotions Committee
Message Board Moderator
Support Team
Spam Busters
Knight Marshall
Cats will do what cats do. You can't blame a cat for doing what comes natural or him, and neither can you expect it to feel sorry about being a cat. I think whomever sent a mouse to get medicine in cat territory ought to have thought twice. Other than that, Buddhists have issues with cats? I would think they did not, and rather accept that nature is as it is, perfect after its own standards.

I don't hate banana flies, even if they are pests. I accept that if I store trash in my apartment, I can get flies and then the fault is my own, not the flies. However, I still get rid of the flies. As for cats, it's a problem in Norway, because people don't take responsibility for their pets. They aren't native to this environment, and they are very destructive for our native birds, destroying their nests and killing the young. Therefore the debate is pretty loud at this point about pet owners who won't neuter or sterilize their cats, instead just ditch them when they become an inconvenience. And there are more and more cats, due to that lack of taking responsibility. In response, some people do terrible things to cats, which is equally as bad. When it comes down to it, it is not a cat problem, it's a people problem. The people cause a problem, then they punish the cats, who by all accounts only do what cats do, hence cannot be blamed for following their nature. They are however ultimately the victim! I don't see the difference in a cat torturing a baby bird, VS a human torturing a cat, other than as humans we should know better. Our nature is that we have choices, and some people just keep making bad choices, lack responsibility and hence create a problem that punishes something else.

It's a shame!

Posted on: 2014/8/31 5:01
Trained under: Master Ace Venom
Current apprentice(s):
* Amara (Amy)
* LoverofKnowledge (Leena)

Obi-Wan:(...) Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future.
Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of

Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
A scorpion asks a frog to carry him over a river. The frog is afraid of being stung during the trip, but the scorpion argues that if it stung the frog, both would sink and the scorpion would drown. The frog agrees and begins carrying the scorpion, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. When asked why, the scorpion points out that this is its nature.

Posted on: 2014/9/1 19:38

Knight
From Kent UK
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Knight
Jedi Guardian
Promotions Committee
Greetings Each Bows

I like the posts. I was fortunate to have spent my childhood in Kenya. Mother Nature can be very harsh out there but in actual fat it is fair. It just is that way neither positive nor negative it just is.

I learned valuable lessons out there from Mother Nature and from the Masai. You can be safe in the midst of Lions as can be said for swimming with sharks. We are not their natural prey and if you respect them and do not pose a threat generally you should be safe.Then again..maybe not that is natures way :)

Posted on: 2014/9/3 0:31

Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Indeed, understanding leads to harmony.