Temple of the Jedi Force : Jedi Shadow Training [Message Boards - General Discussions]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Random Views
Phoenix Cockpit1

Ceremonial Lightsabre Hilts
Ceremonial Saber Hilt

Friends and Family
King Richards Faire '06

Do you know ?
What the 15th teaching of the Jedi is?

Login to use Live Chat

Who's Online
32 user(s) are online (5 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 0
Guests: 32

more...

New Members Welcome!
Zachery93Z 2018/11/20
RefugiaVan 2018/11/20
Marcia6383 2018/11/19
AmeliaCost 2018/11/19
LyleLeahy 2018/11/19
KristineKi 2018/11/19
Nichole949 2018/11/19
JosephD38 2018/11/19
KattieMand 2018/11/18
ClevelandP 2018/11/18

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Jedi Shadow Training
Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
I'm interested in knowing what people think about this topic. Do you feel Jedi should receive training in the dark side of the Force so that they can better understand it in themselves and others and therefore become better light-side Jedi?

There is a short training exercise in understanding the dark side called 'The Cave' should there be more of such training?

Please share your thoughts and ideas about this topic. Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2016/7/22 9:41

Re: Jedi Shadow Training
Master
From Washington USA
Group:
Apprentice
Registered Users
Knight
Masters
Message Board Moderator
Jedi Consular
I've seen it come up in a few students over the years. I feel that this could be an aspect of knighthood training that would help our Jedi understand how to address the dark side in themselves in order to have better understanding and empathy when helping others out in the field. It may also help in retention, as some apprentices have left various Jedi training sites because they felt that their Dark Side tendencies would ostracize them from their Jedi community.

I also think it's unfair to expect Jedi to help in areas they have no experience with, and dealing with the Dark Side does require care and caution.

All this said, what do we believe 'Dark Side' entails?

Posted on: 2016/7/22 10:48

Rumi
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Knight
From Kent UK
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Knight
Jedi Guardian
Promotions Committee
Greetings Each Bows

I did understake this task in my training. To be honest if you are going to do it properly it isnot a very nice experience. Well mine wasn't. I also think it an exercise that can only be done when the student is ready for it. One of my drawings reflects this. It is how the individual views the drawing as to whether it is a scary place to be or whether it infact offers a place of refuge and safety.

The Darkside is very evident in Europe at present and a humongus amout of bad energy. Aparantly via the moon and Murcury.

Good post :) Bows

Posted on: 2016/7/23 3:20

Apprentice
From USA
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
Apprentice
Jedi Sentinel
Knowledge itself isn't good or bad - it's all in how you use it, in my opinion. If someone wished to study it, I think it could certainly be of great benefit to the temple/community. But perhaps as optional, not required training, and under close partnership? As Mike said, it certainly won't be terribly pleasant, and a strong support system in place from the start would be very helpful as a kind of anchor.

Posted on: 2016/7/23 9:12

Apprentice to: Nira

Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Everyone makes good points. I was thinking of it like this. Someone said the major difference between the light and dark Jedi is that one works outwardly to help others and the other works inwardly to only help themselves. This is general and most people are not pure saints or sinners. Can understanding and compassion allow a Jedi to turn darkness into light?

This would be an example question. Can the Sith code be used for good, to help others? Can a Jedi become an alchemist and change this lead into gold?

Posted on: 2016/7/23 11:45

Apprentice
From Northern Florida, United States
Group:
Apprentice
Registered Users
Jedi Consular
One of the main points of "I, Jedi" was about the means by how you accomplish things. The phrase "The ends justify means" is never true. It's impossible to TURN dark into light, but it can be replaced. And trying to do good with the Sith Code is like expecting the Devil to actually help you.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 7:41

Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Which would you say is better, to do the right things for the wrong reason or the wrong thing for the right reason?

Everyone thought Vadar was evil but Luke who looked beyond the surface into his heart.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 10:07

Apprentice
From USA
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
Apprentice
Jedi Sentinel
Damn, Master Octagon, you come up with the best questions.

Something like the Sith code could probably be used to help others. The only catch is figuring out how. Fortunately, I'm not currently in that kind of situation, lol. While I agree with Silver that the ends do not justify the means, I'm still not sold on the idea that darkness cannot be turned into light. Because, well, anything is possible, and who am I to say that something cannot be done?

My current assignment is related to studying karma, and it's got me wondering about our intentions, or as Master Octagon said: "Which would you say is better, to do the right things for the wrong reason or the wrong things for the right reason?"

Let's say I give some money to a homeless person so he can go get some dinner. It was a nice gesture, but maybe I only did it so I can put some good karma out there for myself because I want good things coming to me. Am I being selfish? Does my intent negate my action? On the other end of the spectrum, Donald Trump believes that building a wall around the US land borders will keep the country safer. He believes it is the right thing to do. He is likely partially correct - the US may become "safer" in some senses of the word, but it would also become less safe in many other senses because of his rampant and unchecked xenophobia. Is that the wrong thing for the right reason? Or the wrong thing for the wrong reason? I suppose it depends on whom you ask, lol. What kind of karma do you think is he expecting? How does one know when something is light or dark?

Posted on: 2016/7/31 11:17

Apprentice to: Nira

Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
This was part of my Force meditation lesson of the day. There is a level of being at one with the Force in which only those with perfect love in their hearts my enter. Hate in any form or for any reason blocks access to that Force level. It is a form of true freedom, perfect compassion and perfected love.

I was reminded of the occupations of Ireland and India by the British. Both countries wanted freedom. Ireland tried to do it with an eye for an eye philosophy. This resulted in a long war of terrorism in which many on both sides died. India did it led by Gandhi. Passive resistance which worked in the end and resulted in minimal bloodshed. It worked so well that it was the model Dr. Martin Luther King used to free black people from segregation in the U.S. The lesson here is that hate returns hate but peace results in peace. This is karma used in the highest.

I could say loads more about this but the short answer is treat others the way you would want to be treated by others. No one really wants to be hated. People want to be loved, understood, healed of their pain, protected, forgiven, and redeemed.

As to your question, how do we know if something is light or dark? I would say by it's intent. Karma doesn't really judge our actions, it judges our intent. The reason we do what we do. The intent of the Sith is inwards towards putting themselves first, the intent of the Jedi is outwards, to put the needs of others above our own needs. Doesn't mean you give a hungry person all of your bread, it means you give them half.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 12:18

Apprentice
From Northern Florida, United States
Group:
Apprentice
Registered Users
Jedi Consular
I completely agree with you, Octagon. Violence only ensues violence. That's why the ends never justify the means To answer you question, I would rather do the wrong thing for the right reason. As you said, it's about intent. However, you can know something is light or dark by sensing it. That "gut feeling" if you will.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 15:15

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]