Temple of the Jedi Force : Meditation/mindfulness & psychology [Message Boards - General Discussions]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Random Views
Rapier Fight

Ceremonial Lightsabre Hilts
Ceremonial Saber Hilt

Friends and Family
King Richards Faire '06

Do you know ?
The Official Temple Doctrine

Login to use Live Chat

Who's Online
47 user(s) are online (12 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 0
Guests: 47

more...

New Members Welcome!
HaydenB067 2018/11/15
ScotFrier 2018/11/15
ifacyzygo 2018/11/15
JayCross25 2018/11/15
ugowazax 2018/11/14
KeenanColb 2018/11/14
AmeeWorden 2018/11/14
ChesterAsh 2018/11/14
JosetteCan 2018/11/14
LeonoreX90 2018/11/14

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Meditation/mindfulness & psychology
Knight
From Oslo
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
Knight
Promotions Committee
Message Board Moderator
Support Team
Spam Busters
Knight Marshall
https://www.psychologytoday.com/articl ... 05/the-science-meditation

I have seen over the years that mindfulness and meditation has really been accepted as effective and helpful by mainstream psychology. It kind of warms my heart a bit, because I still remember a time it was considered "silly" and "unscientific". The article above was pretty good, I am adding some quotes here.

"Other recent research has looked at precisely what happens during meditation that allows it to cause these positive physical changes. Researchers at the Maharishi School of Management in Fairfield, Iowa, found that meditation has a pervasive effect on stress. They looked at a group of people who had meditated for four months and found that they produced less of the stress hormone cortisol. They were therefore better able to adapt to stress in their lives, no matter what their circumstances were."

And...

"Diana Adile Kirschner, Ph.D., a Philadelphia-area clinical psychologist, sometimes refers her clients to learn meditation and has seen firsthand how helpful it can be. "Not only is meditation an absolutely marvelous destressor, it helps people better relate to one another," she says. "I can tell when clients are following through with meditation. For instance, I had a couple who consistently bickered. After they started meditating, they came in less angry, more self-reflective and more loving."

I also found that my current lecturer wrote an article in a psychology magazine a few years ago. Which was interesting, because she hasn't brought it up in class, but I just randomly googled her to find any work she's done to get a feel of who she is as a psychologist. I am linking to it, but it's a Norwegian article.

http://psykol.abcwebhuset.aplia.no/in ... u-bare-kan-velge-aa-vaere

She writes about how the concept of mindfulness has been embraced largely by the psychology community; but meditation as a practice is still facing some resistance. Which is a shame, she writes, because she feels "we're throwing out something important if we don't include the rewards we can gain from using meditation as a method for achieving what the scientific community describes as "attentive presence, being consciously present in the moment with an accepting attitude towards own thoughts, feelings and physical sense of being in own body."

(what she says in Norwegian: "mener jeg vi kaster ut noe viktig dersom vi ikke inkluderer gevinstene av meditasjon som metode for å oppnå det forskningsmiljøet i Bergen beskriver så bra:”.. oppmerksomt nærvær – være bevisst til stede i øyeblikket med en aksepterende holdning til egne tanker, følelser og kroppsfornemmelser..”

I found it interesting that my lecturer has this view on meditation and mindfulness, and the development of the increased awareness of and acceptance of what's previously been labelled as simply "spiritual tools".

Posted on: 2016/11/23 4:16
Trained under: Master Ace Venom
Current apprentice(s):
* Amara (Amy)
* LoverofKnowledge (Leena)

Obi-Wan:(...) Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future.
Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Meditation/mindfulness & psychology
Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Great article and thoughts. I have definitely noticed a change in you over time since you've been meditating. You are more easy going over things that once would have caused much stronger reactions.

Interesting that my studies today were about the connection to stress and cancer. Stress weakens the immune system which can make people more prone to sickness. Meditation lowers stress levels making a person less likely to get sick.

I also came across this article about how mindfulness can slow time.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gabriel ... meditation_b_4432223.html
ARTICLE:
[The concept of slowing down often seems alluring, but it can also be really trippy for people. Why? Simple: These days, everything is fast. Technology has our heads spinning. Don’t get me wrong: Living a fast-paced life isn’t a bad thing. But running on high speed all the time can make you feel overwhelmed. You not only end up getting less done, you feel tense and anxious.

Paradoxically, the secret to speeding up and getting more done is simply to slow down. I’m not saying you should renounce the world and meditate all day — but I am suggesting that you clear space to access your inner power. When you do that, time will seem to expand, and you’ll accomplish more. In this video I share tools that will greatly help you redirect your energy and learn to heighten an inner sense of power to let your outer life grow, expand and flow. Watch now.]

At first glance our information may not seem related but looking deeply into the lessons they have to teach will show them as parts of the whole.

Again, well done.

Posted on: 2016/11/23 15:20

Knight
From Oslo
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
Knight
Promotions Committee
Message Board Moderator
Support Team
Spam Busters
Knight Marshall
Thank you.
I would say that it's not that I don't react anymore, because I still am Bipolar and I still have my bad days; but I react better and have healthier ways of defusing and letting go of what's painful or cause me suffering. The bad isn't quite as bad as it once was, and I keep my focus forwards, remembering that it's all just part of the experience and cycle of being human and having a human mind.

Mindfulness is wonderful in that, because it allows you to pick up on inner trouble before this inner trouble has a chance to grow to the point where it feels overwhelming; you can manage a lot of issues before they become issues that way. Plus, you get a better overview over physical and emotional needs, not to mention the spiritual ones and can keep better upkeep and maintenance of the mind-body-spirit triangle.

So all in all, I think it's great to keep on practicing mindfulness at all times, and have meditation be a continuous habitual practice, regardless of whether things are going well or not.

Good article; I liked her view on it. Funny when she says "things that let you slow down". I've been making a whole lot of cartoon characters, and I find that coloring (not the drawing, that requires more active thought)is very soothing to me. Just putting down the colors, calmly and automatically, shading & highlighting... It's definitely a meditative action, albeit not a traditional one.

Posted on: 2016/11/25 2:06
Current apprentice(s):
* Amara (Amy)

Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
bump for Master Nira

Posted on: 2017/1/16 14:14

Knight
From Oslo
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
Knight
Promotions Committee
Message Board Moderator
Support Team
Spam Busters
Knight Marshall
I see the conspiracy has grown, lol :P
Bump it for both of us then, your contribution to this one was invaluable.

Force light your path,
Master Octagon

Posted on: 2017/1/17 14:51
Current apprentice(s):
* Amara (Amy)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]