Temple of the Jedi Force : GurthElin's Initiate Journal 🎆 [Message Boards - Jedi Initiate Resources (Explore here first)]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Random Views

Do you know ?
That you can submit questions (and answers) to this FAQ system?

Login to use Live Chat

Who's Online
67 user(s) are online (12 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: GurthElin's Initiate Journal 🎆
Jedi Initiate
From Portland, OR
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
The Jedi Creed

I am a Jedi, an instrument of peace.
Where there is hatred, I shall bring love.
Where there is injury, pardon
Where there is doubt, faith
Where there is despair, hope
Where there is darkness, light
And where there is sadness, joy.
I am a Jedi.

This half of the creed is telling us to apply the 13 vows of the Jedi, particularly the vows of respect, charity, and defense. ne tis to be charitable by offering positives to the negatives. Respect is to be applied in that it doesn't provoke an increase the listed negatives. In giving the positives, one is defending others and ideals.
When my mom had a job, she would come to me and "vent" about her day when it was tough. I would not need to say a word of advice, I just listened. In the end of her rant, she would feel better just because of my presence.

I shall never seek so much to be consoled as to console.
To be understood as to understand
To be loved as to love
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned.

This half has several meanings. It tells us to be empathetic towards others, one can't know a feeling unless one has experienced it. It tells us of karma; what goes around comes around. It also tells us that if we "scratch someone's back, they will scratch ours".
Like the experience example of the first part of the creed, I have become the one who vents about work and my mom is the listener.

And it is in dying that we are born into eternal life.
The force is always with me for I am a Jedi.

Posted on: 1/24 23:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Master
From Portland Oregon
Group:
Knight
Apprentice
Registered Users
Masters
Jedi Sentinel
Message Board Moderator
Webmasters
The creed is one of those that we ask you to do line by line Gurth. Please elaborate on this in the required format. I believe you have the gist of the creed, but remember to take your time with it, and flush the doctrine out as much as you can.

The reasons for this is not just to show that you've read them, but also to show your present understanding of them as thoroughly as possible so that we can get a better idea of what your understanding is, and what your personality is like (so a potential mentor is better able to tell if you're going to be a good fit for them as a student).

Please continue in the spirit of these reasons, and really give this work your best shot.

Regarding the creed specifically, I have some questions for you to think about when expanding on your interpretation of it:

What does it mean to you to be an instrument of peace?
How are you doing that now, done it in the past, or plan to in the future?
In what ways have you succeeded in the past?
In what ways have you done not as well & would like to learn skills to help you grow in this area?

How does one go about bringing love to someone who is full of hate?

What does it mean to pardon someone who has injured you, or someone else? (Particularly if it's someone close to you?)
What if they're not sorry?

... I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Namaste, my friend.

Posted on: 1/25 0:05

Jedi Initiate
From Portland, OR
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
The Jedi Creed (in-depth)

I am a Jedi, an instrument of peace.
This means one is obligated to reduce or end conflicts and to prevent future conflicts.
I struggle with this and want to be able to end conflicts before they begin by just accepting the demands of others.

Where there is hatred, I shall show love.
This is the same as being an instrument of peace. means one should not be part of conflict, but to help on the sidelines. For example, if one is in the military during a war, be a doctor or the like instead of being a soldier.
I struggle with this in that I only show indifference in some conflicts, and am the source of others. I want to be less selfish but it is a major struggle.

Where there is injury, pardon.
This is about forgiveness. One must be able to forgive and forget. It applies to both injury to oneself or others. Without forgiveness, there is only a build-up of hate.
This is fairly easy for me now, I forgive a fault and by the next day, I have no memory of said fault.

Where there is doubt, faith.
This means to be faithful to others and oneself. It is faith-based karma. Without hope, one's destiny may be negatively altered.
I tend to doubt my skills in a task, and when I attempt, I fail.

Where there is darkness, light.
A literal meaning of this is to walk into a dark room and turn on the light. Without the light, it is impossible to see. If one eats carrots and walks into a dark room, it is difficult to see. In other words, the one who brings light can be a hero in a situation, the one who eats carrots is the one full of faith and struggles to be a hero.
I am the carrot eater when my brother falls off the table (he is a climber). I can't stop the fall, but can slow it down.

Where there is sadness, joy. I am a Jedi.
This means to be optimistic in a bad situation. Look at the glass half full as opposed to half empty.
At work, if it is busy and I am off in an hour, I focus on being close to getting off as opposed to the busyness of it. When I babysit my brother, I see it as entertainment as opposed to a chore.

I shall never seek so much to be consoled as to console.
This is karma. What goes around, comes around. Also, to console means to comfort.
I comfort my brother when he is hurt by hugging him and he comforts me with is presence after s stressful work day.

To be understood as to understand.
This is about empathy. One can't know a feeling without the experience of it.
When I was depressed, my mom empathized because she used to have depression.

For it is in giving that we receive.
This means "if I scratch your back, you'll scratch mine". Also, for holidays and birthdays, people give to each other because the reaction of happiness gives the giver happiness.
At Christmas, I didn't need to give my brother anything but an empty box, and he would've had more fun with that than any other toy, His reaction would be his gift to me.

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned.
This is a combo of karma, empathy, and "scratch". It is about forgiveness. it means we can keep on living.
For me, this is odd, I forgive people for mistakes, but they can't seem to forgive me, mainly my mom. She holds grudges.

And it is in dying that we are born into eternal life.
The literal is when we die, we will become one with the force. The figurative is that we learn from our mistakes. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
I made tones of silly mistakes, now I know to focus more.

The force is always with me, for I am a Jedi.
This is a reminder of why we joined the Jedi order in the first place. The force called us together. If the force isn't with us, we would be beyond depressed, selfish, or whatever we became Jedi to prevent.
The force called me to be a Jedi to help heal my depression and to teach me ho to better myself.

Posted on: 1/25 22:06

Master
From Portland Oregon
Group:
Knight
Apprentice
Registered Users
Masters
Jedi Sentinel
Message Board Moderator
Webmasters
Quote:
This means to be faithful to others and oneself. It is faith-based karma. Without hope, one's destiny may be negatively altered.

In what way do you fail Gurth? Can you be more specific?

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that you have depression Gurth, I personally am bipolar (manic depressive). What are some of the things that you struggle with? What are some things that you've found to help you with your form of depression?

Posted on: 1/25 23:38

Jedi Initiate
From Portland, OR
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
Quote:

AceVenom wrote:
Quote:

In what way do you fail Gurth? Can you be more specific?

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that you have depression Gurth, I personally am bipolar (manic depressive). What are some of the things that you struggle with? What are some things that you've found to help you with your form of depression?

1. I doubt my work speed; when busy, I try to get things done as fast as possible. In the end, I fall way behind and end up being lectured for my pace. I doubt my attentivness, when babysitting, I try to keep my brother occupied. In the end he is too fast and gets into trouble.

2. I struggle with keeping cool on the dot at work when I stress out and start slamming doors; I try meditating when I can but by then its too late. At home, my mom gets the most irritated at little mistakes and most of the time her anger brings me to tears. I have tried meditating to help, but it has only helped 49% of the time.

Posted on: 1/26 0:41

Jedi Initiate
From Portland, OR
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
16 Teachings of the Jedi

1. The force is in and around all things. As a Jedi, one should be able to feel any changes. One should be able to sense a person's presence. One should identify what a person is feeling. Also, one should feel when something is wrong.
I struggle with this. I can't identify nonverbal cues such as some facial expressions. I am also unaware of many of my own mistakes.

2. One should focus on the present. One should learn from the past but never dwell on it. It is okay to be mindful of the future but not at the expense of the moment (Qui-Gon Jinn).
I used to punish myself for past actions. Now I try to learn from them.

3. One must maintain a clear mind. Too many thoughts can distract from the tsk at hand. A clear mind can be achieved through contemplation.
Whenever I feel distracted while doing a task, I take a moment to breath.

4. One should focus on the positive. Being negative accomplishes nothing. Also, being optimistic reduces the chances of falling to the dark side.
On a stressful day at work I just think about how close I am to being off.

5. One should trust instincts. Using our instincts have kept us alive for thousands of years. An example of this is flinching when in potential danger. However, in some scenarios instinct should be backed up by questioning.
At work one day I had a feeling I should cook only one quarter patty after a batch of four. I asked a coworker as confirmation. He said continue with four. To please him and my instinct, I did three.

6. One must be patient. Patience is hard to develop, but is still possible. Without it, one will not have a clear mind.
I ordered a bow and arrows a while ago. I failed with patience in waiting for the bow. I am still waiting for the arrows and I haven't looked at tracking once.

7. One must be aware of negative emotions. While they are natural, to lose control of them one is on the dark path. contemplation is how they are purged.
Before I joined the Jedi, I was on the dark path because I couldn't control my anger. Now I retreat to my room and meditate to calm down.

8. One must train in all aspects of the person: body, mind, and soul. To leave one out is to damage another. For example, without training the body, the spirit is weakened. To train the body, join a sport, martial art, or exercise program. To train the mind, read or watch educational videos. To train the spirit, meditate.

9. One must protect the peace. Find a nonviolent way to end a conflict such as negotiation. Violence leads to more violence.
I keep peace by obeying my superiors instead of arguing with them.

10. One must trust the will of the force. There is no luck, coincident, or accident. Everything has a purpose, even tragedy.
I was destined to move to Portland in order to help out with my brother.

11. One must let go of attachments. While intimate love is healthy, obsession leads to greed, jealousy, and fear of loss. All of these lead to the dark side.
When I lived in Kentucky, I was attached to my extended family. I wanted to be with them every weekend. Since I moved to Portland, all I need are bimonthly FaceTime calls and for holidays.

12. There is no such thing as death. When a person "dies", the body becomes one with the earth, the spirit becomes one with the force, and the legacy lives on in the hearts of others.
When I "die" I want to be cremated. I want my ashes spread in the backyard of my grandparents' house so they can help the grass grow and the worms to live. My spirit will be one with the force. My legacy will be in the hearts of my friends and family.

13. One must use the force out of necessity. One must never boast. Our abilities are meant only to help others and to improve the self.
I failed at this the other day. I bragged about the teachings to my mom and failed to use them soon after. For a brief while I reverted back to my old self. I recovered through meditation after.

14. Love one another as oneself. This is the golden rule. If one doesn't love the self, it is impossible to love others.
Before I became a Jedi, I hated myself and everything I did. As a result, I showed indifference towards my brother and mom.

15. One must be a guardian of peace and justice. One must protect the fundamental rights of all life. One must show compassion and empathy towards others.
The other day at work, my boss violated my right to privacy by complaining about me being late from returning from break. The reason I was late was because I had to take care of personal business.

16. One must be a committed Jedi. One must defend the Jedi ideals, practices, and philosophies. We are both witnesses and protectors of the Jedi cause.
I failed at this the other day. I bragged about the teachings to my mom and failed to use them soon after. For a brief while I reverted back to my old self. I recovered through meditation after.

Posted on: 1/29 21:53

Knight
From Kent UK
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Knight
Jedi Guardian
Knight Marshall
Promotions Committee
It would be good to see a little more your answers are a little brief my friend . IE If you have struggled with no1 or any of the others then you should spend a little time thinking about them and how you can work with the Force and in turn let it work with you. Progress can be a rocky road

Posted on: 1/30 0:13

Knight
From Oslo
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
Knight
Knight Marshall
Promotions Committee
"I doubt my work speed; when busy, I try to get things done as fast as possible. In the end, I fall way behind and end up being lectured for my pace. I doubt my attentiveness, when babysitting, I try to keep my brother occupied. In the end he is too fast and gets into trouble."

You don't have to doubt your work speed here :) Patience is one of the virtues we set high, and there are no time-limits or otherwise time-related demands. Take a deep breath and try to keep in mind that as you work on your path. There's a lot to learn, trust me when I say there's enough to spend a life-time on. And that's quite OK! If we were already at the finish line, then what fun would be left? Learning can be a lot of fun :)

I'm Bipolar type II, so I too know a thing or two about depression. You'll definitely see that a lot of people here can relate to your former or current struggles. You're not alone facing those particular challenges on your path.

Be well, and good work so far!
Force light your path

Posted on: 1/30 3:51
Trained under: Master Ace Venom
Current apprentice(s):
* Amara (Amy)
* LoverofKnowledge (Leena)

Obi-Wan:(...) Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future.
Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of

Jedi Initiate
From Portland, OR
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
16 Teachings Furthered

I have meditated on it and here are the parts I feel need more detail.
[quote]
GurthElin wrote:

1. The force is in and around all things. As a Jedi, one should be able to feel any changes. One should be able to sense a person's presence. One should identify what a person is feeling. Also, one should feel when something is wrong.
I struggle with this. I can't identify nonverbal cues such as some facial expressions. I am also unaware of many of my own mistakes.

I will take the time to focus and analyze the people and the environment more closely by the use of all my senses.

2. One should focus on the present. One should learn from the past but never dwell on it. It is okay to be mindful of the future but not at the expense of the moment (Qui-Gon Jinn).
I used to punish myself for past actions. Now I try to learn from them.

While it is a struggle, I realize that most of the mistakes I make are from lack of focus.

3. One must maintain a clear mind. Too many thoughts can distract from the tsk at hand. A clear mind can be achieved through contemplation.
Whenever I feel distracted while doing a task, I take a moment to breath.

If breathing doesn't help, I ask if I can come back to the task later and fill some of the distractions in the meantime.

4. One should focus on the positive. Being negative accomplishes nothing. Also, being optimistic reduces the chances of falling to the dark side.
On a stressful day at work I just think about how close I am to being off.

I also think about the money I'll earn with which I tend to give most to my parents to help pay debts.

8. One must train in all aspects of the person: body, mind, and soul. To leave one out is to damage another. For example, without training the body, the spirit is weakened. To train the body, join a sport, martial art, or exercise program. To train the mind, read or watch educational videos. To train the spirit, meditate.

I train my body through dabbling in a variety of sword arts such as fencing and kendo. I train my mind by watching educational videos (knowledge in general) and babysitting (focus and awareness). I train my spirit by these journal entries and by meditating. I want to combine these by attaching a sword (bokken) to yoga. Yoga itself is meditation and exercise, adding a sword adds to those and adds the need to focus.

9. One must protect the peace. Find a nonviolent way to end a conflict such as negotiation. Violence leads to more violence.
I keep peace by obeying my superiors instead of arguing with them.

This is easier with my work superiors than with my mom. I have higher stakes at work (pay, firing, etc.. At home all I risk is avoiding a long lecture.

10. One must trust the will of the force. There is no luck, coincident, or accident. Everything has a purpose, even tragedy.
I was destined to move to Portland in order to help out with my brother.

...because if I wasn't here, my mom would have fallen completely to the dark side (she doesn't handle stress well)and my brother would barely know me even if I Face Time. I was also destined to work at McDonald's because of my lack of work experience.

Posted on: 1/30 23:22

Knight
From Oslo
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
Knight
Knight Marshall
Promotions Committee
First, I want to say that your patience is commendable, to say the least. I apologize that your journal fell between the cracks due to our latest shift in KM management. We should have gone over your journal again quite a while ago!

Your added thoughts are very good. Thank you for expanding on your initial thoughts.

Your journal is currently under review; as soon as we in the KM has looked it over you'll be given further instructions on how to proceed. In the meantime you can put some thought into potential mentors who you are interested in contacting regarding a mentorship.

Be well, Gabe.

Posted on: 3/24 13:24
Trained under: Master Ace Venom
Current apprentice(s):
* Amara (Amy)
* LoverofKnowledge (Leena)

Obi-Wan:(...) Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future.
Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.