Temple of the Jedi Force : real lightsaber combat [Message Boards - General Discussions]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Random Views
no title

Do you know ?
What the 7th teaching of the Jedi is?

Login to use Live Chat

Who's Online
45 user(s) are online (13 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 0
Guests: 45

more...

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: real lightsaber combat
Master
From Neillsville, WI
Group:
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Do or do not...there is no try.

Becoming a Jedi is about being in control of yourself, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Knowledge and Defense, never attack.

Yes, something to definitely look into...before someone gets hurt that is not supposed to.

JGD

Posted on: 2/4 18:59

Apprentices:
Dina Gamal
Daloch
Glover
Dropped:
Lea
Max
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Knight
From Kent UK
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Knight
Jedi Guardian
Knight Marshall
Promotions Committee
In my humble opinion Martial arts needs to be taught by a properly qualified instructor. There is so much more that just technique just as becoming a Jedi needs proper training

Posted on: 2/5 2:47

Jedi Initiate
From North Carolina
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
I'm afraid I must disagree. You go back far enough, and there were no qualified instructors. They learned martial arts by themselves. Besides, it is like what Master Grayson said in another post, they need a belt system to show parents progress, and they charge a lot of money for these "extras". (Belts, Gi, Manuals, pads, ect.). Charging $45 for a long strip of dyed cloth is just insane.

I will find a sparring partner and work on holding back during such sessions, but I will never hold back when I am attacked or others are attacked.

-Reddawg99

Posted on: 2/5 8:48

Master
From Neillsville, WI
Group:
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
That is what I said, but that's not the point. Yes, if you go centuries of time, there were no instructors, but there is no need to go it alone now. The system is also there so you know where you stand as well. With qualified instruction, that's not in it for the money or business, the belt system is in place (historically) to show progress for themselves. Martial arts schools need to stay in business, so for the sake of parents, need to give a 'timeline' for their benefit. This is why it is important to research the schools in your area properly. However, as the students delve into the arts more, they realize that they are progressing in both skill and spirit.

The ranking system, if you research, has been in place for centuries back before it was a steady business practice. What I said earlier is accurate, but from a business person's view.

Just like as we progress here as Jedi, starting at Initiate and working their way up. As Masters, we made the decision to put a minimum amount of months to Apprentice training under a Knight or Master to ensure that lessons were being taught. However, as I have told my Apprentices when they ask how long they have to go till Knighthood, I tell them that if you have to ask, you are not ready.

Hold back in practice, cause if we break our partners, we won't have them anymore. But one does not have to kill when injure will do.

JGD

Posted on: 2/5 9:43

Apprentices:
Dina Gamal
Daloch
Glover
Dropped:
Lea
Max

Jedi Initiate
From North Carolina
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
I've never come even close to killing. I have broken bones, but these days I prefer to go for the major pressure points in the shoulders and arms. If you have no strength behind a punch, you are no longer a threat. I only break something now if they pull a weapon on me. So I guess I am holding back, just didn't really realize it till I analyze how my fighting has progressed over the years. Imagine that.

-Reddawg99

Posted on: 2/5 17:24

Master
From Neillsville, WI
Group:
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Funny what happens when you start thinking about it.

Posted on: 2/5 22:30

Apprentices:
Dina Gamal
Daloch
Glover
Dropped:
Lea
Max

Jedi Initiate
From Portland, OR
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
I am part of Amtgard. My group seems to prefer single short swords. I prefer to use longswords. I guess to be on parr I should use form ii/ form v.

Posted on: 2/24 19:15

Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
[Quote]In my humble opinion Martial arts needs to be taught by a properly qualified instructor. There is so much more that just technique just as becoming a Jedi needs proper training[Quote]

Reminds me of the time in the seventies. Karate and Kung-Fu were big in the U.S. Downtown had a martial arts movie playing in every theatre. People were imitating what they saw on the screen.

I had a friend who was good at nunchucks. He was so good people who heard about him would come to challenge him in contests (not fighting each other but just doing the forms).

That said. People could get good on their own but not as good as having an experienced teacher.

Posted on: 2/24 21:35

Jedi Initiate
From North Carolina
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
I'd say 85% of the fights I have been in have been against pure brawlers. People who just punch or kick without any combat training. 10% was against marines, who are heavily trained in hand to hand combat (And drunk which makes them way harder to deal with), but more specialized types of moves (Fast take downs or lethal moves), and the last 5% being against real martial artists. Being self-trained, I have only lost twice, once to a martial artist and once to a group of drunk marines.

I don't take pride in my martial skills. It sickens me that even in this day and age such skills are even still needed. Sadly, that seems to be the "Human Condition". Killing each other over nothing at all. Hopefully, humanity will wake up one day and ask "What the hell are we doing?".

-Reddawg99

Posted on: 2/27 14:39

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.