Temple of the Jedi Force : How Long Does it Take to Become a Knight? [Message Boards - General Discussions]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Random Views
Marcus and Mom

Do you know ?
What is the 3rd teaching for all Jedi?

Login to use Live Chat

Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (12 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 1
Guests: 50

Matt79O73, more...

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

How Long Does it Take to Become a Knight?
Master
From Portland Oregon
Group:
Knight
Apprentice
Registered Users
Masters
Jedi Sentinel
Message Board Moderator
Webmasters
From https://jedidestiny.wordpress.com/2017 ... -take-to-become-a-knight/

By Destiny Froste

A young but earnest Zen student approached his teacher, and asked the Zen Master:
“If I work very hard and diligent how long will it take for me to find Zen?”
The Zen Master thought about this, then replied, “Ten years.”
The student then said, “But what if I work very, very hard and really apply myself to learn fast — How long then?”
Replied the Master, “Well, twenty years.”
“But, if I really, really work at it. How long then?” asked the student.
“Thirty years,” replied the Master.
“But, I do not understand,” said the disappointed student. “At each time that I say I will work harder, you say it will take me longer. Why do you say that?”
Replied the Master, “When you have one eye on the goal, you only have one eye on the path.”
I wish I could give a source for this story. I first read it in a book many years ago, when I first began training as a Jedi, but I have seen it many places, and in many variations. People have commonly applied it to Martial Arts as well, asking, “How long until I earn my black belt?” Whatever the discipline, whatever the goal, the message is the same.

Too often, students on the Jedi Path fall prey to this mindset. They want so much to be the knights they know of fiction, that they are more focused on the title than actually being what that title represents. Some people attempt to put time limits on the time a student must be a student, in order to control this. One person I knew applied decades; ten years as a student before becoming a knight, ten years as a knight before becoming a master. Others have begun to apply hours, but these measurements of time only add to the problem.

People now-a-days want instant gratification. Six months and you are a knight. Train two Padawans in the next year and you are a Master. Really?

Your basic college education takes four years, even an associates degree is two. The Jedi are supposed to be knowledgeable and well trained, at the very LEAST I would say the time it takes to become a Jedi Knight should equal a Masters degree, let alone be shorter than an associates. If you go back to the fiction, students spent on average 10-13 years training in just basic Jedi skills before even being considered for a Padawan; and the Temple had this training down to a science.

Regardless of what time you apply to it though, now the student has a time frame to work against, and whether you stress that these limits are a minimum or not…they will look to that time limit for their progression, not to their training. And, if they are not given their desired title after that time limit, they will focus on the why for the wrong reason.

Within the fiction, from what we know, there is a set amount of time that most students study in a class format at the Temple, however once they are taken as a Padawan, it seems the only measure, is when the master feels they are ready. Obi-Wan Kenobi was knighted during the events of Episode I, at the age of 25. Anakin Skywalker was knighted sometime between Episode II-III, somewhere between the ages of 20-23. If we had a list of all the Jedi Knights that existed, I am sure we would find a great range of ages in which they were knighted.

The honor of being a Jedi Knight is not something that can be measured by any amount of time, but in what a student has learned and achieved. Give the student goals in study and practice rather than giving them arbitrary dates that may or may not be enough. When the student fully embraces and lives the path, then they are a Jedi Knight.

Posted on: 1/27 21:16

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: How Long Does it Take to Become a Knight?
Knight
From Oslo
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
Knight
Knight Marshall
Promotions Committee
My goal was never to become a Jedi knight. Become wiser, yes. Better, definitely. I wanted to learn, grow and finally figure out that tricky art of mastering oneself. Nobody else, just myself. Becoming a better person. Odd how little you end up caring about titles when you got that mind-set, because the more you learn in that direction, the more you discover how much you do not know and how exciting that growth progress can be. Painful, at times. But exciting yet.

However the moral of this story would still apply for me as much as anyone else; considering "mastering onself" is still a goal. When you're worried about reaching a goal, whatever the goal is, you'll still only be having one eye on the ball.

I've gotten trapped in that way of thinking a lot of times. As soon as I begin thinking; "Why am I not there yet?" ... I slip back a step or two. It's a nasty form of self-sabotage, really. Because we like dates and time, and sure answers! We really do like setting those dates to make the journey seem more manageable, without seeing that we lose out of half the journey with this type of focus.

There's no set time for anything. We can't rush learning or growth. It comes in due time when we stop fussing so over it. But yeah, even if it's not that title we're grabbing for, even if it's something else entirely... I believe the only way to go, is to go forward experiencing the journey; our focus being in the here and now, of what is. There are some exceptions to this though, I do find myself thinking vaguely of the future when experiencing unpleasant things in the here and now. This too shall past. At one point in the future, this moment will be utterly irrelevant. But I still don't leave the moment, and I believe that may be the point. The difference is whether we chase towards that potential future moment or if we can stand firm in the here and now, with the future being merely a promise of future moments to come.

Most of human suffering comes from human beings attempting to avoid suffering, paraphrased from Pema Chodron.

We stop avoiding, stop fighting and simply accept what is; suffering loses its power over us.

But, aye, I am wandering far off from the actual point here, lol.

Point was supposed to be that whatever we think we need to chase, we might want to consider instead the value of the current moment; of the actual journey we're on. And that's particularly pertaining to the Jedi path. Because outside of the obvious coolness of the path, it holds so much in terms of growth, potential learning and discovery. It's worth going those extra miles for. And there'll always be an end of the line, but why rush?

Forgive me the digressions; my thinking process is a bit jumpy today :P

Posted on: 1/27 21:59
Trained under: Master Ace Venom
Current apprentice(s):
* Amy

Obi-Wan:(...) Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future.
Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of the moment.

Knight
From Kent UK
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Knight
Jedi Guardian
Knight Marshall
Promotions Committee
Greetings Master Ace

Love that story always makes me smile. My Sensei uses the word 'Progressive'

It is a lifetimes study the rank/grade are just tokens of achievement. In my opinion one should always be a student

Sho~Shin ..Student Mind or beginners mind.

Posted on: 1/28 5:04

Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Somewhere along the line a bit of magic happens and the teachings actually come alive. There is no better feeling then realizing you can't go a day without meditating, or one's first thought when everything goes to hell is to commune with the Force and you actually feel the difference. Also in using the doctrine to help work out life problems.

Attach file:

jpg  _absolutely_free_photos_original_photos_meditation-by-the-lake-3872x2592_12384.jpg (1,991.67 KB)
682_588d4e1f0a240.jpg 3872X2592 px

Posted on: 1/28 20:03

Jedi Initiate
From Rice Lake, Wisconsin
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
Just to quickly add my perspective on the matter, it isn't a race and one musn't force the path. I personally believe that time is irrelevant when it comes to the training and advancement. Yes, you should strive to learn more and grow, but really once you have the knowledge, will, and skill I think you have earned the position. It should never be like "I've been here for *insert a time here*, and I now get to be a knight, I've done my dues."

It's not a race against time, it's the knowledge to know that time is racing you.

Posted on: 2/2 9:07

Jedi Initiate
From North Carolina
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
I'd like to toss my own 2 credits in here (Republic credits, of course).

I'd say ignore the titles. Focus on your path. Your own goals. Your own understanding of yourself and the force.

When I came here not long ago, I already considered myself a Jedi. I cared not for rules or doctrine. I follow my path, and the title is merely a description of what I am. Now, I consider myself a Knight. Do I introduce myself as such? No, I introduce myself as a Jedi. The title only matters to me. Only has any real meaning to myself and other Jedi. If other Jedi feel I need to recite code or doctrine from memory to be a Knight, then technically my laptop is a Knight, as it can say each line without pause or hesitation.

FEEL what YOU are and follow the path the force has laid out for you.

Care not for titles, luminous beings are we.

And remember, when you are stuck, stressed out, or ready to explode, meditation is the key.

-Reddawg99

Posted on: 2/2 11:07

Master
From Neillsville, WI
Group:
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
I remember when I was looking into having my own martial arts school. One thing the guides always said is to make sure that the students and parents (especially the parents who were paying the bill) knew what kind of timeline between belt testing was going to be.

Here's the reason: Parents need to see their kid progress. They need assurance (and proof) that their money is being well spent, otherwise they will leave. As a teacher, I would love to go by my judgement of when they have achieved...it's just not good business.

With that said, we don't have a traditional style school here and being online tends to hurt us as much as help us. Trust me, if this was a brick and mortal Temple, I would totally train my apprentices differently. I would be able to incorporate training the physical self along side of a person's mental and spiritual selfs.

Good story, Ace. Thanks for posting.

JGD

Posted on: 2/3 18:52

Apprentices:
Dina Gamal
Daloch
Glover
Dropped:
Lea
Max

You can view topic.