Temple of the Jedi Force : What is "brain hacking"? Tech insiders on why you should care [Message Boards - General Discussions]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Random Views
Authoritat

Do you know ?
What is a Jedi?

Login to use Live Chat

Who's Online
48 user(s) are online (14 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 0
Guests: 48

more...

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

What is "brain hacking"? Tech insiders on why you should care
Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Silicon Valley is engineering your phone, apps and social media to get you hooked, says a former Google product manager. Anderson Cooper reports.

Have you ever wondered if all those people you see staring intently at their smartphones -- nearly everywhere, and at all times -- are addicted to them? According to a former Google product manager you are about to hear from, Silicon Valley is engineering your phone, apps and social media to get you hooked. As we first reported in April, he is one of the few tech insiders to publicly acknowledge that the companies responsible for programming your phones are working hard to get you and your family to feel the need to check in constantly. Some programmers call it "brain hacking" and the tech world would probably prefer you didn't hear about it. But Tristan Harris openly questions the long-term consequences of it all and we think it's worth putting down your phone to listen.

"...every time I check my phone, I'm playing the slot machine to see, 'What did I get?' This is one way to hijack people's minds and create a habit, to form a habit." Tristan Harris

"You don't pay for Facebook. Advertisers pay for Facebook. You get to use it for free because your eyeballs are what's being sold there." Ramsay Brown

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-is-b ... s-on-why-you-should-care/

Posted on: 6/14 12:51

Re: What is "brain hacking"? Tech insiders on why you should care
Knight
From Oslo
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
Knight
Knight Marshall
Promotions Committee
Loved that last quote.
It was kind of on point in an awesome manner.

And yes, my eyeballs do feel used every time I am on Facebook. But I suppose what throws me the most is what it thinks I am interested in! Sometimes it is way off, other times it gets closer. I am definitely not an "underwear and eyeglasses" type of girl :D

Interesting article though, Master Octagon, thank you for sharing it!

Posted on: 6/14 18:18
Trained under: Master Ace Venom
Current apprentice(s):
* Amara (Amy)
* LoverofKnowledge (Leena)

Obi-Wan:(...) Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future.
Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: What is "brain hacking"? Tech insiders on why you should care
Knight
From Hungary
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Knight
Jedi Consular
Knight Marshall
Initiates
Usually I'm quite an opposer of conspiracy theories, but to be honest, this makes perfect sense to me. I'm quite an addited one to my phone, what stops me usually to use it more than needed the headache it causes after a time (even when I hold it further from my head). Sometimes it's good to have such kind of indicators, even if they are not pleasant at all

Posted on: 6/16 23:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]