Temple of the Jedi Force : What is one sentence that changed your life? [Message Boards - General Discussions]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Random Views
Me.

Do you know ?
What the 16th teaching of the Jedi is?

Login to use Live Chat

Who's Online
34 user(s) are online (11 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

What is one sentence that changed your life?
Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Here's a good story I read and would like to share with everyone.

What is one sentence that changed your life?

Teddy Otero, Very imperfect Christian, husband, and father

I would never believe that one sentence could change a life unless it happened to me; but it did! I suppose it wasn’t the sentence itself that changed everything, but it was definitely the trigger, or the axis around which the pendulum swung.

I was a well-adjusted military brat growing up around the world. Straight-A student, athletic, nerdy. I loved moving and seeing new things until I had to move between my junior and senior year of high school, leaving my first girlfriend (“soulmate!”) that I had been dating all of three months.

So my academic performance deteriorated senior year, and continued to decline at the prestigious engineering school I had been admitted into. I dated two more girls in college and, hopeless romantic that I was, was heartbroken when those relationships ended. The only thing I excelled at in college was Air Force ROTC, and although I appealed to the Air Force repeatedly to let me change schools and majors, it turns out that the military is more interested in engineers than artists.

After 4 years of flailing about and breaking promises to my parents to turn my grades around, I hit rock bottom. I left my school and terrible GPA. I dropped out of ROTC and had to pay back my scholarships. I moved home, much to my parents’ dismay. I got a job selling used cars. I played video games and looked for love on match.com. I went to a psychiatrist who listened to woeful tales about my quarter-life crisis, coddled me and prescribed antidepressants. At 23, my life had stalled.

After a few months, I switched counselors and had exactly two sessions with the new one. During the first session, he listened to my background and problems. After some small talk at the beginning of the second session, he dropped an admittedly inelegant word-bomb on me that changed my life:

“Every day you are faced with multiple decisions that boil down to a choice between the man chair and the little boy chair, and you consistently choose to sit in the little boy chair.”

He basically said to me, “stop making excuses and man up.” In thirty seconds he had given me the rite of passage I had been missing. Something in my brain clicked in that moment and I was never the same again.

The rest of the session was a blur, and I raced out after my time was up to begin my life! I stopped feeling sorry for myself and chose happiness. I picked a career path, found a new job that aligned with it, enrolled in community college and began planning my way back to an apartment and a university, this time paying my own way and excelling. I was no longer a victim but an adult, responsible for myself and my destiny.

Better late than never! 15 years later, I have that career and a family I love and am proud of.

Sure, I had small relapses here and there, but I no longer allowed them to define me or dictate my circumstances. I paid the price for my past in many ways, not the least of which was being disqualified for Air Force OTS at the last minute (they realized that a large portion of my college transcript was transferred credits, and demanded to see my engineering school transcript). But ultimately, I know that I am where I'm meant to be.

I don’t remember the name of the psychiatrist who treated me, but I owe so much of who I am today to him for his willingness to tell me something that nobody else would.

Posted on: 7/16 14:37

Re: What is one sentence that changed your life?
Knight
From Hungary
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Knight
Jedi Consular
Knight Marshall
Initiates
Nice story! My life-changing sentence was said not in real life. It was, which is my signature is currently right now, my favourite quote from Star Wars "Your focus determines your reality". Really made its effect on taking an initiative in my life and stop making a victim out of myself. It's beautiful how such small things can have such a big effect on people.

Posted on: 7/18 1:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Knight
From Kent UK
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Knight
Jedi Guardian
Knight Marshall
Promotions Committee
Greetings Bows

Aye good story thank you for sharing :)

Yours is a good one to Judit San :)

Mine was.. 'Well son you are now committed to Her Majesties Army'....Good luck. May 10th 1975

Posted on: 7/19 23:51

Knight
From Oslo
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
Knight
Knight Marshall
Promotions Committee
"This too shall pass"

Best sentence ever, in my book. It can help you heal and endure anything, because you know that whatever you are forced to face in the present moment is as fleeting as everything else in life.

Posted on: 7/20 2:55
Trained under: Master Ace Venom
Current apprentice(s):
* Amara (Amy)
* LoverofKnowledge (Leena)

Obi-Wan:(...) Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future.
Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of

Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Quote:
Mine was.. 'Well son you are now committed to Her Majesties Army'....Good luck. May 10th 1975

That would be a life changer. LOL!

"Your focus determines your reality" I use a lot as well as, "This too shall pass" in different forms.

Another quote I like to use is, “Whom unmerciful disaster Followed fast and followed faster.” It's a reminder during difficult times that what is happening is not a natural occurance in my life and that things will return to their natural state greatness given time.

Posted on: 7/20 9:49

Knight
From Kent UK
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Knight
Jedi Guardian
Knight Marshall
Promotions Committee
Aye Master Octagon..In more ways that one but if I had to do it all over again even knowing what it would do to me later on in life..I would not hesitate :)

Posted on: 7/20 23:40

Apprentice
From Kansas
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
Apprentice
Jedi Sentinel
The one sentence that changed my life?

Overall, the sentence that has had the biggest impact on me is

"Everything that can happen, will happen."

Being the scientifically inclined guy that I am I think this sentence holds true throughout a lot of the scientific world. Quantum mechanics and the many worlds theory, in conjecture, create a multiverse where if you're faced with Schroedingers cat, the cat will live in one universe, and die in another.

The law of large numbers as well, every possible solution will exist if you have enough variables. Being that the universe, as far as we know, is infinite, every solution is possible.

Figuring this out as a young kid, probably made me a little more rebellious. The plans and paths that society has set out, isn't the only way to succeed. I can forge my own way and I can be just as successful, regardless of whether or not is makes anyone else happy.

Posted on: 7/21 10:16

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." -Col. Frank P. Hobgood, referring to a Montreal Star article from 1932

Apprentice
From CO
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
"You have one chance to heal right"

Very important after surgery, or any injury (physical or mental) really, and is a great way to tell yourself to take it easy after a trauma

Posted on: 8/3 23:19

Apprenticed to Master Nemo

Knight
From Oslo
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
Knight
Knight Marshall
Promotions Committee
Nice one, Starstreaker. One for me to keep in mind, only I always find it so hard figuring out what "the right way to heal is". Particularly since doctors seem incapable of giving you clear instructions. So it's all guesswork and positive attitude as far as I can see, lol

Posted on: 8/4 6:34
Trained under: Master Ace Venom
Current apprentice(s):
* Amara (Amy)
* LoverofKnowledge (Leena)

Obi-Wan:(...) Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future.
Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of

Master
From Portland Oregon
Group:
Knight
Apprentice
Registered Users
Masters
Jedi Sentinel
Message Board Moderator
Webmasters
IDK about a single sentence... but I have one thing to contribute that changed my life and set me towards a path of emotional self healing.

"Anger is like a bell. The more you let it ring, the more people will want to ring it. Take away the clapper, and soon they'll stop." -my Mom

Posted on: 8/4 16:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]