Temple of the Jedi Force : Fear and Lessons [Message Boards - General Discussions]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Random Views
Outdoor Jedi Sanctuary Reconstroction Progress 1

Do you know ?
What is the 6th teaching of all Jedi?

Login to use Live Chat

Who's Online
37 user(s) are online (11 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 1
Guests: 36

Sebastien, more...

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Fear and Lessons
Apprentice
From Portland, Oregon
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
Apprentice
Jedi Sentinel
Questions and thoughts for my peers:(Re-Posted from Quetras Journal [Nexus Aramjirs Journal])

What type of coping mechanisms do you use when facing a fear? How do you approach them? What type of lessons do you learn? How can that fear become a strength?

Posted on: 10/27 19:23
We are no different than the air we breathe, the ground we walk on, or the rivers we drink from.The Force is EVERYTHING. Whether we choose to accept it gracefully or ignore it, It cannot ignore us. Know this, and your path will become clear.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Fear and Lessons
Master
From Portland Oregon
Group:
Knight
Apprentice
Registered Users
Masters
Jedi Sentinel
Message Board Moderator
Webmasters
First, I write down what it is I'm trying to do. Then I write down what I suspect will happen. Then I try it. Then I write down my experience of it & compare what happened based on my expectations... Then I do it again. Thus, I am able to find the truth of what is real, vs. my expectations. Often I find reality to be in flux, however, I find that if I put my expectations aside and look at thing objectively, I will learn something valuable about myself, reality, and where the two meet. Not always, but often.

Sometimes it is REALLY hard to be objective.

Posted on: 10/28 4:47

Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
I think about what it's like to jump out of an airplane when skydiving. The body is afraid and screaming not to jump out of a perfectly good airplane but the higher mind says the odds are on your side so just jump already. So if it's not as bad as jumping from a plane it's nothing to worry about, don't over think it, just jump.

Posted on: 10/28 12:34

Knight
From Oslo
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
Knight
Knight Marshall
Promotions Committee
When facing something I fear, my coping mechanisms are breathing and mindfulness. First I must become aware and accepting of the existence of the fear. Then I do it anyway, and try to breathe through it. Sometimes the specific strategy will depend on the nature of the fear.

Exams for instance. That will require not just biting my teeth together and enduring. Rather, focus and a calm state of mind. Hence I will prepare for a long time in advance, with meditation, positive affirmation and vizualization will be good tools. For the more physical fears, those can be harder. I confess I havent quite found a sure way to defeat the lizard brain yet. I tend to freeze, over fight or flight.

As for lessons, fears can teach us a lot. About what matters to us, our attachments, our values and so on. Defeating a fear will help us proceed regardless of it, but the fear itself can be incredibly valuable for self-learning and growth on our journey. Like, my fear of failing exams tells me I've got a tendency of placing my trust in external sources, when it comes to self-evaluation and acceptance. That's not necessarily a negative thing (or positive), it simply is something that I ought to be mindful of as a factor that might affect how I think, act and feel, hence something I need to be aware of. My fear of ticks is actually about fearing the disease they carry, which can lead to impairment. Hence my fear of ticks are really about fearing impairment and dependency; which I wouldn't know about if I didn't investigate my fear of ticks and bugs. Fear of dependency can definitely affect me in other areas, hence it's important to know about.

So, all our little fears, quirks and worries can teach us about who we are and how we function, hence rather than being merely problems, they can be important tools for us on our path and on our journey. Through learning about them, we learn how to defeat them, and how to grow in the areas we need to grow in order to find balance and peace of mind. It requires openness, honesty and self-insight.

Posted on: 10/28 20:33
Trained under: Master Ace Venom
Current apprentice(s):
* Amara (Amy)
* LoverofKnowledge (Leena)

Obi-Wan:(...) Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future.
Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of

Apprentice
From USA
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
Apprentice
Jedi Sentinel
KM Observation
A lot of my lessons lately have been on the calming ordinariness of things. When I notice fear cropping up, I first try to see what that fear can teach me, and then I step back and think about the thousands or millions of people who are also experiencing this emotion right now, and the generations of people over the millennia who have also felt the exact same way. Fear is a very common and ordinary thing, and if you think about it, even an expression of basic sanity. So, I guess you could say it's nothing to be afraid of, har har... I'll show myself out...

But anyway, this helps me with perspective and staying calm. I hope it helps you some too.

Posted on: 10/29 11:02
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK

Apprentice to: Nira

Knight
From Hungary
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Knight
Jedi Consular
Knight Marshall
Initiates
Good topic and interesting question! What I usually do in order to cope with my fears firstly is to remind myself this is a natural and primal way for my body and ego to avoid situations which are perceived as dangerous. So the first step is accepting that fear is there, instead of pushing it down or telling nice/"positive" things to myself, as "fake it till you make it" method never worked for me. So I allow myself to feel it but to ground myself, I also acknowledge, though, that our danger indicator is often not precise. In though I usually consider it similar to an overworking virus buster software which is good in its own function but sometimes gives false signals and pops up even if there is no real danger of virus. So I consider whether the fear is reasonable or not. If it's not, telling it so doesn't work as the ego sees that there is a very low chance of unreasonable fears coming true so I try to accept uncertainity as it is, a kind of flow which cannot be avoided, especially not with fear included. If it is reasonable then I acknowledge the danger but also that it won't go away with being afraid so much or you don't necessarily need to feel bad in order to be prepared or cautious. So I more focus on the solution then allowing fear to control me.

Posted on: 10/29 23:28

Knight
From Oslo
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
Knight
Knight Marshall
Promotions Committee
"A lot of my lessons lately have been on the calming ordinariness of things. When I notice fear cropping up, I first try to see what that fear can teach me, and then I step back and think about the thousands or millions of people who are also experiencing this emotion right now, and the generations of people over the millennia who have also felt the exact same way"

Nice one, Amy. I completely agree. Looking at the universal nature of what we're experiencing, can help set things in perspective and help us deal with it in a rational manner.

Posted on: 11/5 5:59
Trained under: Master Ace Venom
Current apprentice(s):
* Amara (Amy)
* LoverofKnowledge (Leena)

Obi-Wan:(...) Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future.
Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of

Apprentice
From USA
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
Apprentice
Jedi Sentinel
KM Observation

Posted on: 11/5 12:57
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK

Apprentice to: Nira

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]