Temple of the Jedi Force : Mental Health Pain Scale [Article] [Message Boards - Force Healers]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Random Views
me doing what i do best

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Ceremonial Lightsabre Hilts
Nascein lightsaber axe

Friends and Family
Jim and Lynn's youngling.  (Peep the Mohawk!)

Do you know ?
What the 7th teaching of the Jedi is?

Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (3 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...

New Members Welcome!
JavierLong 2018/12/15
Emanuelly9 2018/12/15
WilliamSor 2018/12/15
DoyleOakle 2018/12/14
HCZMargari 2018/12/13
IHJSadye79 2018/12/13
ScarlettNe 2018/12/13
IsobelHart 2018/12/13
ulozosap 2018/12/13
CaridadBec 2018/12/13

Login to use Live Chat

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Mental Health Pain Scale [Article]
Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Article.

A good friend pointed out, after my last post on the importance of physical pain scale accuracy, that we lack decent ways to communicate our mental health pain scale.

Exactly like physical health, mental health pain is more about the level of distress it’s causing us than the injury itself. The reason we treat pain isn’t because it hurts. It’s because it’s distressing to us.

The brain doesn’t differentiate between physical pain and mental pain. In fact, this is a big reason why they try to get chronic pain patients to tackle existing mental health problems (whether they’re caused by the chronic health conditions or not). Central nervous system sensitisation can make us more sensitive to perceiving pain. Right now, we believe that chronic, severe pain doesn’t actually make us more tolerant to pain. It makes us less tolerant, and oversensitive to it.

You can imagine how well that goes down with chronic pain patients.

Continued here:
https://thegracefulpatient.wordpress.c ... mental-health-pain-scale/

Attach file:

jpg  mental health chart.jpg (249.24 KB)
682_5b114122ca48b.jpg 567X992 px

jpg  Color Code.jpg (46.85 KB)
682_5b1142d43f347.jpg 450X600 px

Posted on: 6/1 6:54

Re: Mental Health Pain Scale [Article]
Knight
From Hungary
Group:
Knight
Registered Users
Jedi Consular
Apprentice
Disciples
Initiates
It sounds good but are people in more severe mental states conscious enough about that they actually need help and if they do, what kind of help? (I mean, e.g. a severly depressed person will unlikely be willing to ask help from others by themself , usually their environment will be the first one recognizing that something is very off.)

Posted on: 6/2 23:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
People who find themselves in a full blown episode may or may not be able to ask for help as it will depend on the specifics of illness.

I think the article is focusing more on being aware of your day to day mental health state and providing a way to quickly communicate such a state to others in a way that's readily understood by all involved.

Posted on: 6/3 7:54

Knight
From Oslo
Group:
Registered Users
Apprentice
Jedi Consular
Knight
Promotions Committee
Message Board Moderator
Support Team
Spam Busters
Knight Marshall
I agree with Master Octagon. They may or may not be able to seek help, depending on the specifics of what they're struggling with. Suicide attempts, crime, etc, are often calls for help. I remember one I knew once who had asked for help repeatedly, gotten refused and then went and committed armed robbery because "at least if they arrest me they have to do a psych eval". Most people, I think, are able to say that they need help, in a healthier manner, even in a full-blown episode. Lest they've got something going on that impairs their cognitive abilities; like if they're in a psychosis or some sort of dissociation episode. Ex. Bipolar type I can at times result in a temporary psychosis where the person loses track of what they're doing, where they are, what's going on. Obviously, if one is losing their sense of reality; asking for help can be impossible. But there are others in severe depressive states that are still able to tell others that if they don't get help now, they might harm themselves or others.

Generally, often the issue isn't that they cannot ask for help, but that the pleading falls on deaf ears, that the support network (if they have one) or the government offices don't see the seriousness of the situation and dismiss them. Particularly if one lives in a district where mental health facilities are limited and there are waiting periods that one has to wait through. Also, mental health are often taken less seriously than physical health, despite the consequences being potentially as deadly either way.

Working on making it more acceptable to communicate about our mental health challenges helps fight the bias and makes it less of a taboo area to talk about; which makes it easier for people to reach out and ask for help when they need it. Hence the need for openness and honesty when these matters are debated. It has to be OK for someone to say; "Right now I am struggling, I could really use some support". If that becomes more "mainstream" and acceptable, that could save lives down the road.

Posted on: 6/4 8:04
Trained under: Master Ace Venom
Current apprentice(s):
* Amara (Amy)
* LoverofKnowledge (Leena)

Obi-Wan:(...) Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future.
Qui-Gon Jinn: But not at the expense of
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Knight
From Hungary
Group:
Knight
Registered Users
Jedi Consular
Apprentice
Disciples
Initiates