Temple of the Jedi Force : Beware of Meditation Scams [Article] [Message Boards - General Discussions]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Random Views
Jedi Memorial Pyre

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Ceremonial Lightsabre Hilts
Nascein lightsaber axe

Friends and Family
Summer Camp 2011

Do you know ?
What the 14th teaching of the Jedi is?

Who's Online
17 user(s) are online (4 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 0
Guests: 17

more...

New Members Welcome!
LeoSteinma 2018/12/12
KayleighVc 2018/12/12
NadineLett 2018/12/11
GarryMarro 2018/12/11
CauaMarque 2018/12/11
PauletteZu 2018/12/11
SallieCons 2018/12/11
GabrielaPe 2018/12/11
HeloisaMor 2018/12/10
RodrigoFog 2018/12/10

Login to use Live Chat

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Beware of Meditation Scams [Article]
Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Meditation is no longer considered only a spiritual practice, or an obsession of minority groups. It is a mainstream phenomenon—a tool with proven benefits for your health, performance, and psychological well-being. In fact, meditation is a now a billion dollar industry; as a result, there are plenty of people looking for creative ways to profit from it, and you will find meditation scams popping up here and there.

There are those who believe that meditation should never be charged for, and should be taught on a donation basis within the confines of spiritual or contemplative traditions (I disagree).

At the other end of the spectrum, we have people who think of it as just another popular self-help technique, and will try to modify it, brand it, and market it as much as they can, pushing for the uniqueness of their technique or approach. They may also try to “catch the wave” by adding the word “meditation” or “mindfulness” to things that are not really meditation. This just adds to the confusion.

For me, it has always been about finding the middle path. In this case, it is staying true to the traditions that developed these amazing tools, sticking to the techniques that have stood the test of time for centuries, and presenting them in a pragmatic, non-sectarian, and secular way—so that people from all walks of life can benefit from them regardless of any faith or belief system.

In this article I’ll explore the different ways in which meditation is being presented to the world in an unhelpful manner—all the way from naive but misguided to fraudulent and scammy. I see these popping up from time to time, and I worry about those who may fall for them.

Meditation by Amateurs

In this category we have people who are genuinely interested in meditation, passionate about the idea, and wish to share it with others. Their dream might be to make a living teaching meditation and help many people learn this valuable practice. But they don’t have much experience with meditation and haven’t studied it deeply. It’s not integrated into their personality.

So far so good. You’ve got to start somewhere, right?

From this point, there are two possible paths.

In the first case, they plunge into meditation, trying to learn everything they can. They establish a strong personal practice of at least one hour of formal meditation per day. They learn from authentic and traditional sources—be them spiritual or secular. They go to retreats. They strive to live the practice. Ideally, they go through a meditation teacher training course. And, in time, they start sharing meditation with the world—in a genuine, humble, and respectful way.

In the second case, they are in a hurry to “make it work”. They believe that meditation is a very simple thing to learn and teach, and that there is great value in putting their own spin on things. They are influenced by internet marketers and half-baked motivational speakers who preach “live off your passion”, “everyone is an expert”, and “establish yourself as an authority in your field”.

Even though they are beginners in the practice itself—let alone the experience of teaching it—they start acting as if they are great teachers. Or at least they give this impression. They speak with certainty and authority, present themselves as go-to experts in the field, make YouTube videos, put up a fancy website, and start selling $1.95 ebooks on Amazon—or, worse, a $997 “Meditation Transformation” packages.

Making a living off meditation while remaining genuine to yourself and truly helpful to your audience is incredibly hard. But if you try shortcuts, what comes out is usually not good—especially for society.

Meditation Scams

Beware of Meditation Scams

There are also individuals and groups that present meditation in a scammy way. They may be

financially motivated marketers or entrepreneurs, knowing exactly what they are doing (but rationalizing it to be okay for a myriad of reasons)
deluded spiritual leaders running groups that are not too far away from a cult

I wish I could give some examples, but that would make this essay be way more controversial than it’s supposed to be, and it would also help to make those scammers more popular. So, in order to avoid a lot of frustration, a thread of 237 comments, and perhaps some lawsuits, I’ll keep this discussion on a more abstract level. 😉

Once meditation became mainstream, some people started looking at it the same way they look at any other product: “How can I sell this better than others. How can I make meditation be better, faster, and cheaper?” I cringe as I write these words….

“In the West, people would like enlightenment to be fast, easy, and if possible, cheap!” — Dalai Lama

The truth is, meditation has been around for over 5,000 years. It has been developed by groups of people who had nothing else to do in life but to meditate and explore contemplative techniques around the clock. So the chance of a 21st-century city dweller creating or discovering a more “powerful” way to meditate is close to zero.

But, unless they claim that, how will they convince you to pay a hefty amount of money to learn it?

The idea of secret techniques, hacks, and shortcuts is very attractive—especially for the “fast food”, instant-gratification mindset prevalent in modern society. And that is why these promises in the field of meditation can be so alluring, and many fall for it.

“More mindfulness in less time.”

“Achieve enlightenment through our proven system!”

“Meditate like a Zen master without spending years practicing…”

Below are some of the commons traits of meditation scams. A group, organization, product or course doesn’t need to have all of these to be a scam, but if you see any of these elements, treat it as a red flag.

(On the other hand, I’ve observed that some authentic meditation groups also display some of these characteristics—but it’s then more a case of dogmatism and closed-mindedness than of fraud.)

Consider it a red flag if they:

promote that their meditation technique is unique, superior or more effective than other techniques. Or maybe the “only true way to meditate”, or “the best one”. They will surely give you a host of fancy reasons to support their claims.
try to convince you that all other meditation techniques are not for you, or are very hard to practice, while their technique is “effortless and simple”. They want to convince you that their technique is a shortcut and that you’ll get “more for less” with it.
do not teach their meditation in public, but keep it secret, protected behind a paywall of sorts. You can’t try it without committing money to it.
use exaggerated language to speak about the benefits of their approach, and what it will do for you.
don’t answer basic questions about the practice and what else is involved until you join.
are offered by a faceless organization, or by someone who doesn’t have a deep experience and is not a real practitioner of the art.
charge a huge price to teach you how to meditate.
put pressure on you to join/pay right now.
have invented/discovered the technique themselves—even worse if they have named the meditation after them. Or they claim an obscure link with an ancient contemplative tradition, but that can’t really be verified.
portray themselves as a secular organization but secretly promote religious practices and beliefs.

By the same token, doing these things is this is precisely one of the ways of “making millions with meditation”— adopt as many of these points as you can, in a way that most people don’t suspect.

There is no magic secret to meditation. It simply takes time to learn it well. But if you have the right teacher, you can enjoy the journey right from the beginning, and experience some of the benefits early on.

How to Learn Genuine Meditation?

You need to find a genuine teacher or organization, be it secular or spiritual.

What about learning meditation from apps, books, courses, and videos? The same principles apply—see who is behind it.

Not all meditation teachers are created equal. Make sure you learn from someone with a solid personal practice, good knowledge and experience in meditation, and the ability to teach it well. The more they have integrated meditation into their own life, the deeper is the learning and transformation you can have.

(Refer to this article for more guidelines on how to identify a good meditation teacher.)

Here I have explored some of the red flags for you to be aware of, so you don’t waste your time and money. As with everything else in life, we need to do our research until we find what we are looking for. And in this process we need to beware of scams, amateurs, and half-baked teachers—and there will be more of all of these as the demand for meditation increases.

Now hopefully you are more well informed in this journey.

"Don’t throw the baby with the bathwater. If you tried meditation and it wasn’t for you, try another…"

If you had a bad introduction to meditation, don’t let it put you off. Meditation is a treasure. It can bring dozens of benefits to your health, performance, life, and well-being. I know that for me it has.

Don’t let your experience with a particular method or teacher discourage you from practicing meditation. That’s like saying that all relationships suck because you just came out of a bad one.

There are hundreds of different ways to meditate, and many different approaches to teaching it. Taking the time to discover which one will serve you best will pay off in manifold ways.

Please share this article to help raise awareness and keep the meditation clean and sacred for everyone.

https://liveanddare.com/meditation-scams

Posted on: 6/13 15:05

Re: Beware of Meditation Scams [Article]
Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Basically beware the quick and easy path. Meditation took me many years before I made it a daily thing. Before then I would skip days, weeks, and months. Over time I learned to use it when life got crazy and out of balance, but even that wasn't enough to make it a regular habit.

One day it clicked with me and even then I missed some days but I learned the value of meditating everyday and now it's like taking a bath or brushing my teeth, I feel uncomfortable if I even come close to missing a day.

The best thing about meditation is that there are so many kinds that the perfect one for you is guaranteed to be out there, you just have to find it.

Posted on: 6/13 15:13

Knight
From Hungary
Group:
Knight
Registered Users
Jedi Consular
Apprentice
Disciples
Initiates
An other red flag from which these kind of meditation (and any spiritual practice) teachers can be recognized: they don't allow you to ask questions, or to question anything they say. If you do so, they will play the authority card and charisma, but the ego games can be easily spot if we pay attention more. Before learning from someone, always take time to talk to the teacher either personally or online to get them known better. If they get impatient, that's an other bad sign. Observe how they talk about themselves, their words, gestures, etc. Make sure they live their life exactly the way they teach so.

Posted on: 6/24 10:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Jedi Initiate
From North Carolina
Group:
Registered Users
Initiates
Personally, I've had a lot of success "Guiding someone down the rabbit hole" as it were (I've been told I have a hypnotic voice. Never helped me with the ladies though. Sigh.), but finding that trigger or key that allows them to sink down into a deep meditation takes months. Both are things that I help with for free. I can't imagine ever charging anyone for this, especially if I am using my own meditation time to teach.

Meditation also seems to have some self-hypnosis elements to it, as I have been able to achieve a few new mental states that I was unable to trigger before I started down the meditation path. Scams LOVE to focus on this, however. Even though it took me well over a year to learn how to do it, they claim you can be doing it in as little as a week!

Sadly, the populace at large is highly gullible. Take for example the latest USB storage drive. 1 and 2 TB USB storage sticks are popping up all over the web for anywhere from $3 to $20 each. The cheapest REAL 1TB USB stick is made by Corsair at just over $450. Yet people buy the cheap ones expecting a great deal only to whine that they got cheated. You get what you pay for. And they paid for trash.

My lessons will always be made available to anyone willing to learn for free. Doesn't matter if it is martial skills, meditation, automotive repair or how to properly clean a air filter. Knowledge should be passed FREELY, and anyone wanting to charge for it is stifling human growth.

Reddawg99
Rogue Knight

Posted on: 7/31 23:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.