Temple of the Jedi Force : How to break bad habits - try this and see results [Message Boards - General Discussions]
Temple of the Jedi Force : Jediism-The Religion of the Force

Login
Random Views
jedi1.jpg

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Ceremonial Lightsabre Hilts
my lightsaber.jpg

Friends and Family
The Entire Wedding Party

Do you know ?
What the 13th teaching of the Jedi is?

Who's Online
23 user(s) are online (3 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 0
Guests: 23

more...

New Members Welcome!
VadaVasque 2019/2/21
Joseph5619 2019/2/21
MargeneFou 2019/2/21
ErmaNerli 2019/2/20
OdessaHavi 2019/2/20
TeraVick28 2019/2/20
JacelynWin 2019/2/19
LurleneSto 2019/2/19
LorenaBell 2019/2/18
NVASunny58 2019/2/18

Login to use Live Chat

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

How to break bad habits - try this and see results
Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
We often fail to break bad habits simply because we take on too much at one time. Our will power only goes so far. This video is about starting out taking baby steps and overcoming our bad habits, one small step at a time.

I've heard what he says about exercise before. Most people do physical exercise like they're training to be in the Olympics. This often ends with people training not for enjoyment but just to get it done. Over-training can weaken the immune system for a short time making one more likely to catch that thing going around in the gym or at home.

Consistent under-training can be more beneficial in the long run. It reduces injury and leaves you wanting more. Also has a good long term conditioning effect on the body. As it makes people more likely to train. Plus it's more of walking the middle path in all things and not giving into extremes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO8Fz6gGOus

Posted on: 1/17 12:38

Edited by Octagon on 2019/1/17 13:43:12
Edited by Octagon on 2019/1/17 13:46:01

Re: How to break bad habits - try this and see results
Master
From Ellijay GA
Group:
Jedi Consular
Spam Busters
Support Team
Knight
Message Board Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
I just had this discussion the other day. For me, its simpler to embrace my nature, both good and bad, and slowly works towards being better. Trying to purge yourself never works in the end. Its like a crash diet; yes. your lose weight, but you'll almost always put it back on and then some. The same can be said for emotional habits. The more force you use, the more resistance your mind will place in front of you, and the. worse you'll be when you fall, and you will fall.

I think it was Thomas Aquinas that said "There's good and bad in every decision. The best we can do is lead towards the light"

That's what I do, and I find myself leaning more towards the light every day.

Posted on: 1/27 12:42

Knight
From Hungary
Group:
Knight
Registered Users
Jedi Consular
Apprentice
Disciples
Initiates
Hi, I'm glad to see you around :) That's absolutely true. Denial is never the solution in any case. The problem is that people often equate positive focus with denial and confuse dealing with stuff with negative focus. They force to avoid the latter but end up facing their issues anyway. Difficult in any way but if you choose to be courageous and to face earlier, it will be easier, if you delay, it will be much, much worse.

Posted on: 2/2 13:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Master
From USA
Group:
Promotions Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
I think it's a matter of taking control of our behavior. We train ourselves and the media trains us to like or dislike certain things.

I like his technique because it works slowly, so if done right you never feel like you're missing out on anything. Say you're addicted to Pepsi or pop in general. Instead of just trying to stop drinking it, you spend a month not drinking any pop, say one day a month, the next months two days a month. You do this in any order until you're done. If you run into a problem you just extend the current cycle for another month. Like he said the process can take years but a year from now I will be off Pepsi as a year from now still being on it. This can be a month or two weeks or a week or two months depending on how focused you are in that habit and behavior.

Also I like it because it made me realize I have never formally accepted the idea of giving something up forever. In the back of mind it was always a temporary thing and afterwards things would magically work out, which they seldom did.

Most people fail because they try to do too much at a time. When they exercise it's like training for the Olympics instead of starting out ridiculously slow and slowly increasing to reach a practical goal. When they do on a diet it's all out instead of changing really small things over a long period of time, making it a lifestyle change rather then a diet.

Behavior therapy does work and is a powerful thing when done correctly, imo. My goal is always to better off than I was last year and not just repeat the same cycles or wait until a doctor gives me medication to correct something that could have been fixed by just having a better lifestyle.

Posted on: 2/2 17:08

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]