Register now!

Ceremonial Lightsabre Hilts
My Hilt

Friends and Family
Blah

Do you know ?
What is a Jedi

Who's Online
47 user(s) are online (5 user(s) are browsing Message Boards)

Members: 0
Guests: 47

more...

New Members Welcome!
Annanatia 2020/11/17
Espatier 2020/8/23
Svan 2020/7/12
musicy09 2020/6/26
Youroko 2020/6/23
Allada_Skydo 2020/6/23
Sojoy85 2020/6/14
Roth-DelLestin 2020/6/4
BackwoodsJedi 2020/5/28
wacarp71 2020/5/23

Login to use Live Chat

Become a Jedi Knight, Jediism. Jedi, Religion, jedi religion, jedi knight, jedi clergy, jedi minister, Temple Of The Jedi Force, force religion, jedi master, force religion, force temple, jediism, jedi church, force church, temple of the jedi order, force religion, christianity, humanism, taoism, zen, zen buddhism, mysticism, martial arts, star wars

Ads

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

LOVE
Master
From Ellijay GA
Group:
Jedi Consular
Spam Busters
Support Team
Knight
Message Board Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Quote:
There’s nothing you can do that can’t be done

Hello all,

Well it’s been quite some time since I’ve lasted posted anything in a general forum. As you can tell from my post count I’ve posted more then a few times. In this thread I want to talk about a very important subject......Love.

Love can have many shapes and forms yet the language we use to convey these different types of love has only one word for them all. So to start in the next few paragraphs I’ll be covering the different types of love in the Greek language. Before that though I’d like to get in to why I’m posting this in the first place.

Quote:
Attachment is forbidden. Possession is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is essential to a Jedi’s life. So, you might say that we are encouraged to love.

While we do not forbid certain attachments or possession in this order ( An element stemming from the heavy Buddhist influence in shaping the Jedi. In Theraveda Buddhism possession is discouraged as it leads to attachment and ultimately suffering.)
While I do tend to agree with this, after all Jack Kerouak did say “If you own a rug, you own too much” realities of living and having a family really don’t lend themselves to this. Compassion, or loving-kindness, is not only central to a Jedi’s walk, it’s ESSENTIAL in the attainment of the realization of mastery.

To have compassion and hold in high regard all life in all it’s forms is part of our cannon for a reason. All living things are worthy of respect just because their alive. In our modern world this isn’t so easy. It’s not so easy to love the IRS agent during an audit, or the guy that just hit your new car. Or how about the guy that just cut you off and cursed at you like you did something wrong. There’s even far worse things we won’t get in to here as I’m sure we could fill this thread with them. In fact our world makes it quite easy to NOT love everything and everyone around you. Now don’t think I’m telling you that all crimes need be forgiven and no punishment administered, just to temper these judgments with mercy. After all we must also take responsibility for our actions and the consequences they bring about, good and bad.

Quote:
There’s nothing you can sing that can’t be sung

Where does this love stem from? Many will tell you it comes from self sacrifice, but what’s that all about anyway. It’s my opinion that if a person doesn’t love themselves first, there can be no true sacrifice. It was a Native American tradition, and I’m not sure of the particular tribe, that if a guest took a liking to something of yours, even if it was your best something, you had to give it up. And based on it’s worth to you your guest had to make a gift of something dear to them as well. the giving here lays not in the simple act of exchange, but in the personal worth of the things being sacrificed to each other. This is true giving. If they didn’t like the items they were giving anyway what would they really be sacrificing? In that same way your self sacrifice is dependent on the level of esteem you hold yourself too. If you don’t like yourself very much and think your not worth the trouble anyway, then what are you giving away? On the other hand if you value yourself and your time and choose to sacrifice it then you are certainly giving of yourself because there’s worth in the gift. It’s my opinion that the first step to cultivating a loving, giving, self sacrificing personality is to first give worth to the thing being given, yourself.

So to me Self love is the first love. If you don’t love yourself you really can’t love another let alone the whole world. Learn to love yourself and all your flaws and shortcomings and in that you’ll learn to love the world. Also in that all of those things you hated yourself for will start to disappear once you embrace them as part of the perfect creation you are. We are all born perfect, it’s just the act of living in this world that masks this truth from us. Now with that out of the way, let’s go in to the different types of love. (Gotta love wikipedia)

Eros (ἔρως érōs) is passionate love, with sensual desire and longing. The Modern Greek word "erotas" means "(romantic) love". However, eros does not have to be sexual in nature. Eros can be interpreted as a love for someone whom you love more than the philia love of friendship. It can also apply to dating relationships as well as marriage. Plato refined his own definition. Although eros is initially felt for a person, with contemplation it becomes an appreciation of the beauty within that person, or even becomes appreciation of beauty itself. It should be noted Plato does not talk of physical attraction as a necessary part of love, hence the use of the word platonic to mean, "without physical attraction". Plato also said eros helps the soul recall knowledge of beauty, and contributes to an understanding of spiritual truth. Lovers and philosophers are all inspired to seek truth by eros. The most famous ancient work on the subject of eros is Plato's Symposium, which is a discussion among the students of Socrates on the nature of eros.

* Philia (φιλία philía), which means friendship in modern Greek, a dispassionate virtuous love, was a concept developed by Aristotle. It includes loyalty to friends, family, and community, and requires virtue, equality and familiarity. In ancient texts, philia denoted a general type of love, used for love between family, between friends, a desire or enjoyment of an activity, as well as between lovers. This is the only other word for "love" used in the ancient text of the New Testament besides agape, but even then it is used substantially less frequently.

* Agapē (ἀγάπη agápē) means "love" in modern day Greek, such as in the term s'agapo (Σ'αγαπώ), which means"I love you". In Ancient Greek it often refers to a general affection rather than the attraction suggested by "eros"; agape is used in ancient texts to denote feelings for a good meal, one's children, and the feelings for a spouse. It can be described as the feeling of being content or holding one in high regard. The verb appears in the New Testament describing, amongst other things, the relationship between Jesus and the beloved disciple. In biblical literature, its meaning and usage is illustrated by self-sacrificing, giving love to all--both friend and enemy. It is used in Matthew 22:39, "Love your neighbour as yourself," and in John 15:12, "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you," and in 1 John 4:8, "God is love." However, the word "agape" is not always used in the New Testament in a positive sense. II Timothy 4:10 uses the word in a negative sense. The Apostle Paul writes,"For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved (agapo) this present world...." Thus the word "agape" is not always used of a divine love or the love of God. Christian commentators have expanded the original Greek definition to encompass a total commitment or self-sacrificial love for the thing loved. Because of its frequency of use in the New Testament, Christian writers have developed a significant amount of theology based solely on the interpretation of this word.

* Storge (στοργή storgē) means "affection" in modern Greek; it is natural affection, like that felt by parents for offspring. Rarely used in ancient works, and then almost exclusively as a descriptor of relationships within the family.

Thelema (θέλημα thélēma) means "desire" in modern Greek; it is the desire to do something, to be occupied, to be in prominence.

That’s a lot of love! While all of these types cover the full breath of human emotion we will all experience, nay we’re meant to experience, it’s Agape we’re speaking of in the Jedi Philosophy. It’s this type of love we seek to cultivate within ourselves. The first step is to learn to have this type of love for ourselves. And it’s this that in subsequent additions to this thread we’ll discuss the cultivating of this “Love of all”.

Quote:
There’s nothing you can make that can’t be made

What are we anyway? Many would have you believe we were borne in sin and are unholy. This is just plain rubbish. You were borne perfect. If you believe in God, and subsequently believe God to be perfect, and believe you are a product of God’s creation, and believe God is incapable of imperfection, then to say your imperfect is to say that God creates imperfection. See the logic? Even a simple read through the New Testament will show you your already perfect, it’s just you who doesn’t realize it. You see a quick scan through the tele will show you why. “Have the perfect body” “Have a great sex life”. Al this Buy this and you’ll be fine mentality being pushed on us from day one erodes our natural self esteem, as it’s meant to. After all why would you buy anti aging cream if you thought that aging was a natural part of life and you were just perfect at any age? Why would you buy a bowflex if you thought your pot belly was maybe the way it was meant to be and therefore perfect?

We’ve let the mass media and corporations define for us what perfection is. And if your trying to sell a product or get people to watch a show the last thing you want them to do is think their perfect. So you send them conflicting messages about themselves. Your perfect like you are but you’d be better thinner. 50 is a great age but you should wash that gray out of your hair and fight those wrinkles. With all of these conflicting messages it’s a wonder we can feel good about ourselves at all.

With that said I’d like you all to try a little experiment. For a full seven days turn off your television, don’t listen to and radio commercials, and for one hour a day sit quietly alone and think. How do you feel without the bombardment of advertising? How do you feel without the constant news chatter? Most of all how do you feel when you sit alone with yourself? I’d ask that whomever wishes to take part in this experiment please pledge your intention to do so in this thread and we’ll pick a date, say two weeks from now to start off. Then we can share our experiences right here.

So that’s all for now kids. In future posts I’ll begin to cover more of the power of love and it’s cultivation, but for now that’s all the time I have. Please share your thoughts and feelings on this subject and let’s have a real discussion. Be well and may the force be with you all and remember; Enlightenment is not a goal to be reached for but a realization that there was never a goal in the first place. You are all already Buddhas, Christs, and Jedi masters. It’s just the awakening of yourself that will bring it about, because it’s been there all along just waiting for you to find “You”.

In the mystery,
~Merin~

Posted on: 2008/7/28 10:57

Re: LOVE
Master (USA)
From South of the Mason Dixon
Group:
Registered Users
Knight
Apprentice
Masters
1886, Mer? If your post count hits 21st century status, I'm gonna make you start your own site. Probably should do it anyway. This site ain't what it used to be.

Posted on: 2008/7/29 19:01

Master
From Ellijay GA
Group:
Jedi Consular
Spam Busters
Support Team
Knight
Message Board Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
I kind of did start my own site but i ended up just posting for myself. Got lonely it did.

Posted on: 2008/7/29 19:49

Group:
Registered Users
I have been having trouble with love,hate,and anger any advice master Merlin Kyo-Den?

Posted on: 2008/7/30 9:13

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

May God,the living force, be with you,

Ragoone'

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Mexico City.
Group:
Registered Users
According to the Dictionary of the Spanish Languaje of the Royal Spanish Academy, the first definition of love is "Human being's intense feeling which, parting from his/her own inadequacy, needs and seeks the encounter and union whit another being". Love can also be found as "feeling towards another person which naturally attracts us and, getting reciprocity in the union desire, completes us, makes us happy and gives us energy to live together, to comunicate and to create".

Though this Dictionary has been highly criticised for its conservative nature and limited coverage, It's safe to say those definitions are what most people believe of love. For all people care, 'love' towards another person, object or animal, completes them, makes them happy, but only as long as they are around them. Love becomes belonging and attachment, appointed to satisfy the necesity of social security, recognition and appreciation.

In his Treaty of Desperation, Søren Kierkegaard wrote (and this is not an exact translation): "Look at a girl in love despair, said the loss of her friend, dead or gone. This loss isn't declared desperation, but desperation of herself". That's the path to the dark side.

Being a buddhist, I'm convinced that love is unconditionally embracing all beings around us and walk along whit them in their achievment of happiness and enlightment. Now, that sounds pretty and all but, is it possible? in the original post, Master Merin listed a few cases of our modern world whit an IRS agent, a car situation and the cursing guy, and that makes me thing of the sublime state Metta:

Quote:
"Love, embracing all beings, be they noble-minded or low-minded, good or evil. The noble and the good are embraced because love is flowing to them spontaneously. The low-minded and evil-minded are included because they are those who are most in need of love. In many of them the seed of goodness may have died merely because warmth was lacking for its growth, because it perished from cold in a loveless world."

http://www.buddhanet.net/ss03.htm

Love in those cases is understanding that the IRS agent is doing his job, the car situation was an accident (in the best of the cases), and for the cursing guy:

"I am a Jedi, an instrument of peace.
Where there is hatred I shall bring love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy"

Said all that. I agree whit Master Kyo-Den. The first step to love others is to love yourself, love is the light in our hearts, a light which connects us whit the living and unifying force.

That's all I can write right now, may the force be whit you all. Greetings.

Posted on: 2008/8/2 3:20

Master
From Ellijay GA
Group:
Jedi Consular
Spam Busters
Support Team
Knight
Message Board Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Quote:
If you want to ask where the flowers come from, even the gods of spring don’t know.

So if self love is the first love then who the hell is the person we're supposed to love anyway? I have some thoughts on this and I figured I'd share them with you all. I was watching the news this morning as I always do, and I got to thinking, “Who is this “I” that’s watching the news? I mean I can’t see him. I can’t really talk to him in a way that would appear sane to an outside observer. So who is this “I” guy anyway. So much emphasis is placed on “Knowing who you are” or “Knowing your place” and I’m beginning to wonder if anyone really knows who this “I” or subsequently “You” fellow is. If were all going to talk about being yourself and finding your path shouldn’t we first know who this “I” is who’s finding that path or finding itself? I would think so.

Make no mistake, this is no small task this finding the “I” in “You”. We’re told early on things like “Every child is special” that “We’re all unique” yet in the same breath we’re told “Your not the only pebble on the beach” or “What makes you so special” or my favorite, “There’s lots of fish in the sea”. So which one is it, we’re unique and special or just common ordinary rocks or fish among other rocks or fish innumerable? As George Carlin said, “At what point does a child cease to be Special and become just an ordinary adult”? So all of these things in my opinion serve to confuse us as to the nature of “I” or “Self”.

So who is this “I” and where do we look for him? Can we find him in Holy books? Is he some force beyond us? Is “I” our physical bodies? The color of our hair, the curve of our hips, the shape of our faces, or the color of our eyes? Or maybe it’s something beyond all of this. Do your eyes do the seeing? That is to say when you look at something do your eyes do the “Looking”? If your eyes aren’t responsible for the “Looking” but just the ability to look then who the hell is manning the monitors!! While our eyes do allow us to see they surely aren’t the ones seeing. That’s something well beyond the realm of having eyes to see. because we have them “To See” and not for seeing. So we can say our eyes were developed by whatever method suits tour beliefs to allow us to see but not to do the “Seeing”.

Then there’s this organ in us that we make such a big stink about called the brain. Is the “I” there? Many would argue “Yes it is” and be done with it. But how can you prove that it really is the “I” in “You”? What was this brain made for anyway? It runs our bodies without so much as a conscious thought from us. It just goes about the business of pumping, breathing, eating, digesting, and a myriad of other functions without any help from us, beyond supplying it with the raw materials it needs to carry out these tasks, whatsoever. What about thinking? There’s the rub! It needs us to think. So again I ask, who’s the “Us” it needs to think? Where does that come from?

Science has come a long way as far as the brain is concerned. They know where your thoughts of speech take place, memory, and a host of other functions. But they can only be seen AFTER they happen. A thought has to be made first before it can be seen. So if we can see the thought as it’s carried out, why can’t we see it before it becomes a physical action or an electrical response in the brain? If it only exists during it’s action then where was it before it was action? Who created it? Who would have the power to do such a thing? And that brings me to the crux of this post. I’m going to let you in on a little secret. Not like the “The Secret” book series, just a little cover up created by us to hide “Us”.

Who created that you ask? Who would have the power to create something from nothing? Some would say God, other’s would say Gods, and still others would say random chance. yet I say to you simply that it’s no gods or force that holds this power of creation. The power of creation lies not in any Holy book or spiritual path you can take because all these paths by their nature lead to one thing, one truth. The author of creation, the maker of your world, the bringer of all of the blessings and all of the bad tidings in your life......... Is you.

The “I” is the creator of our world. You are that “I”. We are all a part of the force of the universe and therefore a part of the force of creation. Each of us, as do all living things, contains within a spark of the divine. Really think about it. We for the most part create our circumstance. Granted some things seem to be out of our control, but not really. It only appears that way at first because of what society has taught the “I” in you.

We’re told early on in the west at least that the nature of man is evil, but he’s a creation of a divine God that is not responsible or can tolerate the presence of evil. So at first though we’d say, if you think about it, “If this divine god can not create evil and we’re made in his image, then why are we not already created perfect and without evil?” And this is of course contributed to free will, otherwise known as the “I” in you.

Funny thing about this “I”, at least as we’re shown as children, is that while he can create bad things, he’s just not capable of good by himself. He needs a “Higher Power” to be able to undo all of his bad. yet if you think about it, the bad, as well as the good, were all just a choice. In the same way we choose bad we can choose good. It’s this conditioning by society that’s told us we can’t, nothing more. It’s this being told we’re not special and not unique when we “Arrive” in adulthood that gives us this. It was and will always be the “I” that makes those choices and no one else. there is on external force or being that can make them for you.

That’s not to say there’s no God. That’s really not the point of this article. The Bible, just as the Sutras I read, is of immeasurable value if taken in the right context. And I’m not one to tell you who created the universe anyway because I’m really not concerned with that. The point of this all? To rediscover the “I” in you. In the New Testament I’ve gotten the impression that Jesus really didn’t understand why he needed to heal the sick. I think the sick he came for were the sick of spirit and not of the body. the body is impermanent (Something we’ll cover in a future post), only the soul or the “I” endures after physical death. If there is one god anyway and we’re all created in his image, doesn’t that make us sons of God as well and as such on an equal footing with Jesus and the disciples? Maybe Jesus, like Buddha, came to show us that the path to enlightenment can indeed be walked, and he, as others before him, just showed us how to walk it.

So knowing this when we look in the mirror who do we see? Is it just an ordinary guy or girl? Nothing special here, nothing to look at. If we listen to society then that’s just what we see. And we always think back to the wonderful time in our early youth (Provided we had a normal childhood) we we’re “Special”. I leave you all with this. When you look in the mirror, try to see the great “I” in you that created the universe and everything in it, because as surely as you are standing there, the “I” in you is looking back. The divinity in you is just as real as anything you can taste or touch, smell or feel. So next time you look in that mirror maybe, just maybe, you’ll see the face of a Buddha, a Christ, a God, even a Jedi master, staring back at you because really, all these things are within our grasp if we can just learn to see the divine within us all. Until next time may the force be with you, because really you are it and it is the “I” in you.

In the mystery,
~Merin~

Posted on: 2008/8/2 18:42

Master
From Ellijay GA
Group:
Jedi Consular
Spam Busters
Support Team
Knight
Message Board Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Webmasters
Bumpin' it!! C'mon people, let's have a nice discussion where everyone shares opinions and viewpoints. just like it used to be. If we really want to get to know one another this is a good way to do it.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 9:24

Master
From North Texas
Group:
Support Team
Knight
Generous Donors
Policy Review / Revission Committee
Apprentice
Masters
Registered Users
Master Merin,

I would love to talk on this subject, but you said it all, you do have a way of making everyones points for them without even trying.....I will try and think of something you missed and put in my 2 cents.

Gavin

Posted on: 2008/8/24 19:20

Master (USA)
From South of the Mason Dixon
Group:
Registered Users
Knight
Apprentice
Masters
Love is everything that makes life worth living. Love is your favorite song coming on the radio and you turn it up as loud as your ears can standit and you sing (or growl in my case). Love is coming out of a great movie and telling everyone you know to go see it. Love is that rare moment in life where you want for nothing. Everytning is perfect and you couldn't possibly be more complete. Love isn't only used to describe a relationship between people. For me, Love is the beginning of Autumn. It's my favorite time of the year. Everything is changing and good things are around the corner. I love the fall. Love is like that. If your heart immediately embraces something, you just fell in love with it. Just like that. Ask my wife. ;)

Posted on: 2008/8/28 0:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]